The Three Unwanted People

We arrived at the hospital in record time. With my phone on my ear, I walked towards the emergency department with Charles following me. Mum was not picking up so I had to ask the woman behind the desk for her and Kaname's whereabouts.

"Hinata?" a male voice I never thought I'd hear again interrupted my query.

I looked to my left. No wonder the voice sounded familiar, it was my father. "Mr. Yang," I said expressionlessly.

He flinched from my stoic acknowledgment but was able to immediately regain his composure. "What are you doing here?" he asked. "Did something bad happen?"

I pretended to have heard nothing and turned my attention back to the nurse. "Hi. I was told my husband was sent to this hospital, his name is Kaname Kirishima."

"You're married?" my estranged father asked in surprise. "When was your wedding? Why was I not informed?"

"He's inside, Dr. Santiago is attending to his needs," the nurse replied. She was talking to me but her eyes were on my father.

"Thank you," I smiled and hurried to the glass double doors, determined to continue ignoring the man who I once loved so much.

"Hina..." he called out but I paid him no mind. I no longer had a father when he left us for his other woman.

My eyes scanned the entire emergency ward as soon as I got inside. The first bed to my right held a man who appeared to be in his thirties, he was wailing as the doctor and nurses attended to what appeared to be his broken rib and badly wounded arm. The sight and smell of blood mixed with antiseptics made my head spin.

"Ma," Charles' warm hand tapped my shoulder. "I think I see father."

"You do? Where?" I asked, snapping out of my trance.

With one arm on my shoulder, he led me to one of the ward's beds on the left. Kaname saw us first and he immediately tried to get up. I hurried to his side and hugged him, completely oblivious to mum's current facial expression and to another woman's presence.

"Are you alright?" I asked as I scanned his body for wounds. My face darkened when I saw the thick bandage swathing a good portion of his right thigh, it was originally covered by the blanket so I didn't see it immediately.

"It's just a small gash," Kaname said in an attempt to pacify me.

"You call that a small gash!? Where is the bastard who did this!?" I asked through gritted teeth.

"Hina..."

"How exactly did you get wounded!?" my hands were balled into fists and I was breathing rapidly. I was beyond furious!

"Calm down..."

"Mum, what happened?" I turned my attention to my mother whose face, I just realized, was black as thunder. Her eyes were staring daggers at a woman who appeared to be around my age. "Mum?"

Mum removed her glare from the woman and with a sneer, replied, "Kaname helped this woman from being mugged."

My brows raised at her unfriendly tone. I looked at the woman curiously. When our eyes met, she took one step forward and offered her hand, "I'm Julianne, I'm sorry we had to meet under such circumstance."

I only looked at her hand and didn't bother taking it, I had no intention of being friendly with this woman... Not because she caused Kaname's hospitalization, but because of mum's obvious disdain towards her. Mum would never be hostile towards a person for no good reason.

Julianne retracted her hand awkwardly. "I was waiting for my sister and her husband outside a restaurant when a man in a motorcycle suddenly grabbed by bag. I didn't have time to react due to shock so I couldn't fight back. Thankfully, Kaname was at the right place at the right time. He went after the robber! I've never seen anyone fly like a hawk in real life, I always thought his moves were something I could only see in movies! He was able to stop the robber and retrieve my bag. Sadly, he didn't come out unscathed. The robber was armed with a knife and fiercely fought him."