The Shogun Was Dead Serious

Kaname's viral video was the talk of the entire company. Even during our weekly meeting with the president, it was mentioned and started a discussion that lasted for ten minutes or so. Charles sent me a message asking me if I've seen the video, I told him I did. He didn't reply to my confirmation so I immersed myself in work. By three in the afternoon, as I was perusing a report, I received a call from mum.

"That woman's sister just accepted an interview from a major TV station!" she said angrily. "Did you know what she said? She said Kaname is her knight in shining armor and that she'll be forever grateful towards him, all the while hinting that she wasn't able to thank him properly because of someone! When the reporter asked if she was communicating with Kaname, she feigned sadness and said that you, his wife, would never allow it. She also divulged that you wouldn't even let her repay his kindness by settling his hospital bills! That wretched woman is making you look bad on national television!"

"Did she mention our names?" I asked calmly although I was seething deep down.

"She didn't but with the investigative capabilities of reporters these days and the power of social media, it won't be long before they locate Kaname."

"I'll let Charles handle everything when that day comes. I have faith in my son's capabilities."

"So do I but I can't help but worry," she sighed. "It looks like we'll be seeing that woman again."

"It does seem that way," I looked out the glass windows of my office. "We'll just have to be ready for whatever this encounter will bring us."

~~~

Charles joined us for dinner that night. When mum was about to serve dessert, he announced that hi father's papers were done. Kaname is now officially and legally a man living in the twenty-first century.

"Father's name, birthplace, and date of birth remain the same except for the year. Marina has been very thorough so even if someone wanted to dig deep into father's records that person won't find anything unusual. As for his citizenship, he holds both Filipino and Japanese. His birth certificate says that his mother is a Filipino who married a Japanese man. This way it won't be difficult to justify his dual status," Charles explained as we went over Kaname's identification documents.

"I don't understand some of it but if you say that everything is done legally, then I can relax and not worry," I replied.

"Marina did everything according to the law so rest assured."

"Thank you, son," Kaname gave his shoulder a pat.

"There's no need to thank me. We're family, after all," Charles smiled.

~~~

Unlike other viral videos whose popularity died after a few days, Kaname's video grew more and more popular. As a result, he and mum had to be extra careful when going out lest he got recognized. However, his still unknown identity and the fact that he didn't step out to take advantage of his fame only made the people's interest in him spike up. Julianne was interviewed by another TV network, the two women who filmed the video were featured in a weekend program, and the thief was even given air time by a desperate show. At work, I expected Rachelle and Joan to rat out Kaname's identity but they remained silent. Tyler was also surprisingly quiet. Thankfully a new video of a teenager doing a heroic deed surfaced and, as days went by, effectively outshone Kaname's video. It was only then that we were able to relax. The public's interest in my husband was dying down.

"There goes my fifteen minutes of fame," Kaname said jokingly when he saw that the numbers of comments and views on his video were dwindling.

"Is the tenka bito disappointed?" I looked up from checking his wound, it has started to scab and was healing nicely.

"Of course not," he shook his head. "Instead of praising me for what I did, people are more focused on how I look. I do not need such shallow admiration."

"As expected of my husband," I got on the bed and started fluffing the pillows. When I felt his warm embrace, I paused. "Anata?"

"I will start working tomorrow," he said, reminding me that he will be teaching martial arts in a well-known gym a few blocks away from my office building. Charles introduced him to his friend who was running the place. After being shown a few moves, Charles' friend was impressed and immediately offered him a job. "I have something to give you."

I turned and looked at him curiously. He got up, took the robe he wore when he came here from his side of the closet and searched its brocade obi. From a secret pocket that was expertly hidden by its embroidered design, he took out two familiar looking rings.

"Those are..." I stared at him in astonishment.

"Our wedding bands," he nodded then sat beside me. "I wanted to wait until we got married here but since I will be working tomorrow, I decided to give this to you."

"What does your working have to do with wearing these?" I was confused.

"Women these days are more daring, I learned that having a ring on one's finger keeps unwanted attention away," he said seriously as he slipped the wedding rings on our respective fingers.

"What?"

"I saw it on TV. Women in this era tend to behave themselves better when they realize that a man is married."

I looked at him to check if he was kidding but he was not. The shogun was dead serious, causing me to laugh out loud until I cried.

"Oi, what's so funny?"

"Oh, anata," I giggled before kissing him on the lips. "Don't believe everything you see on TV."

"What do you mean?" he asked, his brows furrowed.

"You should stop watching afternoon soaps, they're unrealistic and ridiculous," I giggled again. "If a person's aim is to ruin a relationship, they would do so regardless of the other party's marital or relationship status."

"So it's not true that these rings will effectively repel unwanted attention from the opposite gender?"

"Yes," I nodded before frowning, "When I went back to work, you never thought of this. Why is that?"

"Because you won't find anyone who's as handsome and regal as me," he smirked.

"Wow, someone's pretty confident!" I rolled my eyes at him.

"I was only jesting," he chuckled while hugging me again. "It's because I trust you, that's why."

"And are you saying that I don't trust you?" I narrowed my eyes at him.

"Heaven's no!" his odd eyes widened. "I merely believed what those shows portrayed. I understand that I won't be revered in this era in the way my subordinates honored me in the past, I also cannot use the methods I am more accustomed to to get rid of annoying flies here so I resorted to what I believed was the only effective way."

"Really?" I raised a brow at him.

"Yes," he answered solemnly before entwining our ringed fingers. "I swear."