I Never Planned To Escape

"Aside from going out to dine and locking lips with him, what else did you do?" Kaname asked through gritted teeth, his eyes were closed and he was pinching the bridge of his nose.

"I already told you everything," I said meekly. I tugged at his tank top and tried coaxing him. "Forgive me for even thinking that you're him."

As silence filled the car, the oppressive aura Kaname emitted thickened. I grew more and more uncomfortable. I was in big trouble.

"Father," I heard Charles clear his throat before continuing, the car was idle at the moment due to a red light. "Mother was confused. This, coupled with her intense longing for you, made it difficult for her to not believe that you were that guy."

Kaname remained silent and motionless.

"Brandon claims that he's been dreaming of mother for as long as he can remember," Charles added. "Didn't she dream of you too before you met?"

I sneaked a peek at the iceberg beside me and noticed that his icy exterior was slowly crumbling.

"Knowing this, could you really blame mother for believing that Brandon is your reincarnation? I've seen how broken she was whenever her longing for you became too much," the unmistakable trace of sorrow in Charles' voice made Kaname open his eyes to look at me. "It was worse than seeing you trying your best to put up a strong façade in front of us back then."

My vision blurred and it was too late for me to realize that I was crying. My heart ached for both Kaname and myself, but it grew even more painful at the thought of Charles having to witness us suffer. Riku had always been a sensitive child. No wonder, as Charles this time, he could tell when I was overcome with a pain so strong it bordered on grief.

"I know this isn't the right time and place to discuss this but since we're on our way to meet Brandon, we have no choice but to do so."

"How do you expect me to react when I see this man later?" Kaname asked, his tone no longer as stiff as before.

"This is why I didn't want you to come," I hung my head low, my voice small.

"I hope you told me this not because you had no choice but because you really wanted to," he said.

"Anata, I won't make the same mistake again."

It was Kaname's turn to flinch. I didn't mean to dig up another painful memory so I wrapped my arms around him.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean it that way," I assured him gently.

"I know," he embraced me and pulled me to his chest. "I guess, no matter how many years will pass, I can never forgive myself for hurting you back then."

"It's all in the past. I've already forgiven you, haven't I?" I lifted my head to show him how I've sincerely forgiven him for accusing me of cheating with Nagahito.

"But I don't think I can ever forgive myself," he smiled bitterly. "I hurt you too much."

"Anata..."

As he traced the area between my brows with his thumb, he said, "Don't frown, it doesn't suit you."

"I'll stop frowning if you stop talking nonsense," I countered. "Besides, shouldn't it be me whose being eaten by guilt right now and not you?"

"I can never win in an argument with you," he sighed as he pinched my cheek.

Ignoring his words, I apologized again, "I'm really sorry."

"I don't want you to see this person ever again. This is all I ask, Hina. I can't let you continue getting in touch with him. I want you to tell him... No, I need you to tell him that I'm here now and I'm not going anywhere."