A Familiar Svelte Figure

Long and calloused fingers wiped away the tears that I didn't know were already streaming down my face. The seat next to mine squeaked in protest at Kaname's abrupt change of position. The shogun gently pulled me to his lap, cradling me like a baby. Despite the cramped space, I felt comforted. His hand stroked my back as I wept on his chest.

"I always seem to make you cry, don't I?" he said in a tone full of remorse. "Why do I always end up hurting you, Hina?"

I shook my head in answer and hooked my arms on his neck like a child, he tightened his hold on me in return. We stayed in this position without saying anything, when my tears finally stopped he lifted my chin to rain kisses on my entire face.

"I love you... I love you," he whispered with every kiss.

~~~

In the end, we were gone for a little over an hour. Our table was being cleared and Nathaniel was standing next to Charles as he paid for our meal at the counter.

"They're back." Nate tapped Charles' shoulder as soon as he spotted us, relief all over his face.

"Sorry we took so long," I hurriedly apologized. "We ran into a colleague and couldn't excuse ourselves immediately."

"Have you both finished eating?" Kaname asked, expertly changing the topic to help divert the two lawyers' attention from my little lie.

The two men gave each other a sideways glance; Charles knitted his brows while Nate pursed his lips in obvious struggle. Kaname's question was a tricky one.

"We're still starving." I did not want to make them more uncomfortable so I intervened. "We can go back to our table and resume eating, right?"

"Yes, ma'am," the woman behind the counter replied.

I heaved a huge sigh of relief when I heard this. I was really starving and I know Kaname was, too.

We returned to our table in our original seating arrangement: Kaname sat beside me, this time in a much more comfortable distance, while the other two sat across us. From the way Charles and Nate piled food on their plates, it was obvious that they didn't eat much when we left. This made me feel guiltier than I already felt. To say that things were really awkward was an understatement; fortunately, we managed to save the evening the moment we picked up our cutlery and began eating.

We were having dessert and chatting amiably when a familiar svelte figure walked to our table. She was wearing a pair of avant-garde champagne silver ankle boots that went well with her shimmery black dress. The crystal-encrusted circular cuts on both sides of the black number exposed her hips, giving her body the illusion of curves. Her pixie hair was lifted at the roots, mimicking Halle Berry's signature spikey 'do. However, what I believe made her look so eye-catching was her immaculately made up face. Her luscious red lips, lined eyes, and perfect skin were what made it difficult for one to look away. I instinctively looked at Kaname when she stopped at our booth with the grace of a runway model. It took Charles, Nathaniel, and Kaname a few milliseconds to notice her. As though electrocuted, Nate immediately slid out of our booth to envelope Sabrina in an embrace.

"Someone took her time," he said while wrapping his arms around Sabrina's waist like it was a normal thing. He then kissed her cheek, making her blush furiously.

"I'm sorry, my car broke so I had to take a taxi to get here," she sounded guilty and shy but I caught a glimpse of the pleasure reflected in her eyes before she lowered them.

"I was only kidding. Anyway, let me introduce you to everyone." Nate was about to start but...

"Kaname?" Sabrina looked at my husband with a surprised yet smiling expression. "So you're one half of the couple my bun-bun here is meeting."

"Bun-bun?" Charles repeated disbelievingly while giving his friend a mocking glare.

Nate was oblivious to Charles' mockery as he was staring at the woman in his arms with doting indulgence.

"Sabrina, what a pleasant surprise. I never expected that you're the friend Charles said was joining us," Kaname said warmly, reminding me of their conversation over the phone earlier. He stood up, Charles and I follow suit.

"Anata, you know her?" I pretended to ask in a calm voice although somewhere within me, the green-eyed monster had reared its ugly head. It was sharpening its claws while watching Sabrina with narrowed eyes.

"You don't remember her? She's the woman I met on my first day at work," Kaname reminded me. "Mahal, this is Sabrina. Sabrina, this is my wife Hinata."

"You call her mahal? Oh, how sweet!" Sabrina gushed. "Pleased to meet you, Mrs. Kaname," she said with a genuine smile that showcased her dimples. When she extended her hand in an offer of handshake, her wrist and fingers glistened with jewelry. I was willing to bet my car that every single one of them were worth a small fortune. Sabrina reeked of old money.

"Same here," I said as we shook hands. When I realized how fake I was being, my lips curled in self-mockery. I was just like Kaname, the only difference was I could put up a calm and unaffected front even when I'm burning with jealousy deep inside.

"I didn't know you knew each other." Nate looked at Kaname then back at Sabrina.

"He's the new gym instructor I told you about," Sabrina told him. When she spotted Charles, she reached out to shake one of his hands. "Atty. Arroyo, I'm so glad to finally meet you. I'm Sabrina Consunji and I'm your biggest fan!"

"Haha, is that so?" Charles laughed awkwardly, unable to digest the woman's enthusiasm.

"I've heard a lot about you from my bun-bun," she looked at my son with the same look of admiration Nate would normally give Charles as Marina. "Do you already have a girlfriend? Are you still in the market?"

"Well, uhh..." Charles pulled his hand away and tugged his earlobe consciously.