Je Ne Sais Quoi

Julianne's eyes widened and her lips automatically curved downwards in disappointment. When she saw me watching her intently, she faked another giggle to mask her embarrassment and whatever else she was feeling deep inside.

"It's me, Julianne, the girl you saved from the mugger," she flashed a smile that was meant to look friendly.

I almost rolled my eyes at her.

"Julianne?" Kaname repeated her name as he 'tried' to recall who she was.

"Yes," she nodded fervently. "People dubbed you Superman because of me."

My sharp tongue couldn't hold it in, I heard myself say disgustedly, "Correction. People see my husband as a hero because of his selfless act... Not because of you."

She flinched and as what probably was her habit, covered her lips with her manicured fingers before apologizing. "Oh, dear. I incorrectly worded my sentence. I'm so sorry."

I ignored her remark and checked my watch to explicitly show her that I was getting impatient instead. Kaname got the hint and excused us.

"My beautiful mahal gets really grumpy when she's hungry. She may have this excellent figure but she has an appetite that rivals mine," he said while looping an arm around my waist. "It was nice to see you again, Jane."

"My name is Julianne," she corrected him, the pitch of her voice made her sentence sound almost like a shriek.

Kaname paid her no mind and just continued walking beside me with one arm possessively pulling me close to him. When we entered an empty elevator, he whispered something to my ear.

"Did I pass muster, my love?"

I gave him a sideways glance before nodding my head as though I was a countess talking to someone beneath me. "Yes, your acting skill was quite satisfactory."

Because we were on the same wavelength, he immediately guessed what was going on inside my head and decided to play along.

"Does my lady intend to reward this humble servant for his great deed?"

"What does the handsome lord want as a prize?"

The elevator sounded with a ding to announce that we've reached the floor where the restaurant Sabrina's team booked for us was.

"Let's talk about it some other time. For now, let's satisfy our hunger first. I am famished."

~~~

Kaname hummed an unfamiliar tune as I carefully applied overnight sleep mask on his face. His head was resting on my lap and a subtle smile of contentment curved his lips, if he was a cat I imagined he'd be purring happily.

"All done," I announced as soon as I finished.

His eyes slowly opened and the smile on his lips widened into a full crescent.

"Thank you," he slowly got up only to pounce on me.

"Oof!" I gasped as his full weight pinned me down. "Anata!"

He chuckled but then became quiet. I tried to move and push him off me but he stopped me.

"Let's just stay this way for awhile," he whispered.

"Is something wrong?"

"Nothing... I just want to be this close to you and feel your warmth."

"Eh?"

"Yes."

"Seriously?" I felt there was more to this than just wanting to be this close.

He sighed then rolled on his back while pulling me on top of him.