Yes, He Makes Me Happy

Kaname's hand slightly tightened around mine the moment we saw mum waving at us at the arrivals gate. His hand wasn't cold but I still felt his nervousness right at that moment. The day I never thought would come has finally arrived: he's meeting my mother. I gave his hand a gentle squeeze and gave him a smile of encouragement to calm him down a bit.

"She will love you," I told him for probably the fifth time today.

"Mmm," was all he could reply.

"Hina!" mum exclaimed before giving me a hug.

"Welcome home, mum," I said before giving her a kiss on the cheek and hugging her back. "How was your trip?"

"It was fine," she replied as she broke our hug to peer at the man behind me. "And this gentleman must be Kaname."

"Yes," I said, feeling a bit bashful. Grabbing his hand again, I introduced my forever love to my one great love, "Mum, this is Kaname... Anata, this is my mother, Gloria."

Kaname looked at me with panic-stricken eyes and I immediately realized he didn't know what to do.

"It's nice to finally meet you, young man," mum said while taking the initiative by reaching out to take one of his hands to shake it. "Oh my, your hand is so cold."

"I... I...." Kaname stammered, surprising me even more.

"Anata, relax," I whispered while rubbing his upper arm comfortingly.

"There's no need to be nervous," my mum chuckled. "I don't bite."

"Sorry I'm late!" Charles, who was carrying an extravagant bouquet of sunflowers and orange roses, panted behind us. After seeing the bouquet in his arms, I finally understood where he went to when he said he'll be gone for 'just a quick sec.'

Kaname smiled in relief when he saw him, then, after exhaling deeply he said, "Forgive me for my uncouth behavior earlier." He took the flowers from Charles and introduced himself, "My name is Kirishima Kaname. It's so nice to finally meet the woman who birthed the love of my life."

Mum gave me a surprised look, she then took the bouquet Kaname was offering. "The pleasure is all mine."

~~~

After having lunch at a popular and expensive restaurant, we finally drove home. Like last time, Charles was the designated driver. Kaname sat on the passenger seat beside him while mum and I sat at the back. I was anxious the entire time.

As expected, mum wanted to know how Kaname and I met. The moment the wait staff left to communicate our orders to the kitchen, she immediately popped the question. I wanted to make up something more believable than me traveling through time but Kaname stopped me.

"Is it possible for us to wait until we are home before we talk about this matter?" he asked mum with utmost respect. "It's quite a complex story and I'd love for us to discuss it in the privacy of your home."

Mum gave me another look before nodding her ascent. Thankfully, Chatterbox Charles was with us. He made sure our table was lively and no awkward silence ruined the mood. We were all laughing and smiling the entire meal. However, the drive home was the complete opposite. Everyone was lost in their own thoughts as The Corrs sang in the background.

As soon as he finished helping her with her luggage, Kaname escorted mum to the kitchen. There, he made her some tea while I waited at the side.

"Hina, could you excuse us for a while?" Kaname said with a gentle smile. "I'd like to talk to mother in private, if that's alright."

"But..." I wanted to protest but seeing the seriousness in his eyes made me swallow my words. Instead, I nodded my head and went upstairs.

~~~

A small smile curved my lips as I watched a mother bird feed her blind and naked hatchlings by the window. The sight of this little family was a welcome distraction from what was happening downstairs. Charles had to step outside for a while so I had no one to talk to.

"What could they be talking about right now?" I sighed and pulled the window shut.

Kaname and I never talked about how we'll tell mum about us, which I now realized was a mistake, so when he asked for some privacy I was surprised... And anxious. I immediately shook my head at my foolishness. Nobody knows Kaname the way I do and I am my mother's daughter, stressing over their talk was ridiculous. All will be well.

The bedroom door opened and in came my crying mother and my solemn-looking husband. My anxiety meter shot up and I hurriedly went to console my mother.

"What happened?" I asked Kaname as mum wept in my arms.

"I told her everything," he replied, the forced smile highlighted the sadness in his eyes.

I blanched and worriedly wiped my mother's tears with a handkerchief. "Mum... I..."

"Hina, why didn't you tell me?" mum looked at me, her face was etched with grief and immense sadness. "How could you hide such a painful thing? You could've shared the burden with me..."

"Mum..."

"I would've believed you, you know," she smiled bitterly and added, "But how could have I not noticed? How could have I missed the pain and sadness in your eyes when you returned? I'm you're mother and I'm supposed to be the one that knows you best but I never noticed... I thought you were fine."

"Please don't blame yourself," I was crying now as well. "I hid it from you because I didn't want you to worry."

"Hina, I'm your mother. It's my responsibility to worry about you," she wept. "No matter how old you become, you'll always be my child. Your happiness, triumphs, fears, and pains... They are all my concerns."

"I'm sorry," I sobbed. "Forgive me for hiding things from you... It won't happen again."

Mum smiled and wiped my tears with her fingers. "You silly child, you've gotten better at hiding your emotions. I don't know whether I should spank or scold you."

"I'm an adult now, please don't embarrass me in front of Kaname," I giggled through the tears.

"Hmph!" she pretended to scoff before beaming with a happy smile. "Does he make you happy?"

I stared at Kaname who walked to my side to place an arm on my shoulder. "Yes, he makes me happy."

"Does my daughter make you happy?" mum asked him.

"Hinata is part of my soul," Kaname answered. "Our fates are tied together, as proven by how we met and why we're together right now. She is the only woman who can complete me. She is both my weakness and my strength. No one else can take her place."