I Don't Want To Hide Anything From You

After grabbing my purse and slipping into a pair of Birks, I followed Charles out of the house with Kaname following us from behind. Charles insisted on driving us so I accepted his offer, I was too nervous to drive anyway. I guess I was too preoccupied with thoughts of how I'm supposed to get out of this sticky situation because it was only when we were all buckled and ready to leave that I noticed Kaname's bare feet. I smacked my forehead at my stupidity.

"Charles, do you have a spare pair of footwear?" I asked.

"Yeah, I bought a new pair of flip flops the other day. I think it's in that white paper bag on your left," Charles replied, his eyes on the rearview mirror. "It should fit papa, we have the same size of feet."

I unbuckled my seat belt to check the contents of said paper bag. A pair of black rubber slippers with a Brazilian flag on each strap was inside. After removing its tag, I took a couple of wet wipes from my purse and started cleaning Kaname's dirty soles without giving him a warning.

"Oi, what are you doing?" he complained before bursting into laughter. "That tickles, hey! Hahaha. Stop! Hahahaha."

I ignored him and went for his other foot. Because he was restricted by the seat belt and he didn't know how to unbuckle it on his own, he couldn't stop my hands. Satisfied, I then slipped the slippers on his feet. Charles was right, they fit him perfectly.

"I can't just let my husband walk around barefoot," I flashed Kaname a sweet smile, effectively erasing the hint of annoyance on his brows.

"Mmm," was all he said as he grabbed one of my hands and held it on his lap.

Seeing that we're all ready to go, Charles started the engine. We haven't left the driveway yet when Kaname stiffened on his seat. His wide and anxious eyes looked at me for an explanation.

"Remember when I told you that we don't use horses when we travel in this time?" I asked, my voice extra gentle.

He nodded.

"This is one of the modern ways we travel. Charles is driving the car," I pointed at his son who was maneuvering the steering wheel with ease. "He controls this vehicle using that wheel."

"Don't worry, papa, I'm a defensive driver," Charles gave his father a grin on the rearview mirror. "We're not in a hurry so we're taking the usual pace I take when I'm out for a leisurely ride."

Just when Kaname began to relax, his resting elbow accidentally pressed the button that opens and closes the car window on his right. Startled, he almost jumped out of his seat.

I bit my lower lip to stop myself from laughing. He reminded me of a very skittish cat, a very cute and adorably skittish cat.

"Anata, that's how the windows open and close. It slides up and down when that button is triggered," I told him.

Kaname took a deep breath to regain his composure. After tucking an errant lock of hair behind his ear, he pressed the button but it only opened the window wider.

"You pull this part up to close it," I said, demonstrating how it's done on my window.

He repeated what I just did. A satisfied smile appeared on his face when he saw that it worked. Then, a streak of light flash through his eyes before he repeatedly opened and closed his window for probably a hundred times. He was so focused on it that his brows were furrowed.

"A-anata, that's enough."

"I must understand how this works," Kaname replied, his finger never stopping.

By repeatedly opening and closing it? I almost blurted out. Helpless, I turned to Charles. Sensing my eyes boring through his back, he chuckled.

"Just let him be, mama," he replied. "My car is state-of-the-art. It's the latest model and its specs make it hardy."

"If you say so," I adjusted myself on my seat and began thinking of a way to escape being a casualty in the super storm that is my jealous husband once more.

We were at the entrance of the village when Kaname finally got bored of the window mechanism. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw him staring at me.

"What's wrong?" he asked.

"Nothing," I replied, my eyes now on the moving images outside.

"Is it about this friend? Is she very ill?"

She? I almost wanted to laugh. Of course he'd assume that we were visiting a female friend.

"We're seeing Brandon, father," Charles answered. "He's mother's newest friend."

Either my ears were playing with me or my jitters have taken over my rationality but I think I heard Charles say the last two words with a bite of sarcasm. I pursed my lips disapprovingly. Didn't he say he would help me?

"He? So it's a male friend?"

Although I couldn't see it, I still felt Kaname's intense stare. Heaving a deep sigh and preparing for the worst, I turned to meet his odd eyes.

"Yes," I confirmed. "I met him on my trip back from Japan."

"And?" he asked, sure that there was more.

"I can't and I don't want to hide anything from you so I'll tell you everything... But in return, please promise me you'll do your best to understand everything I did," I pleaded while caressing his smooth face.

I recognized the look of inner struggle in his eyes, he was finding it difficult to keep himself calm. He knows me too well to know that what I'm about to tell him will upset him, but he also understands that whatever it was I did, it was because I had a reason.

"Alright. Tell me," he promised before leaning in to give me a kiss.

I gave his hand a squeeze before finally spilling the beans. I started with how I met Brandon and ended with what happened last night. Kaname's facial expressions fluctuated so much as I told him everything. When I got to the part where I told him about kissing Brandon, I felt the temperature inside the car drop. He emitted such a cold and menacing aura both Charles and I shuddered. I flinched when he suddenly let go of my hand. I braced myself for the big storm that was about to begin.