Then He Should Have Made A Move Years Ago

Not only did I feel and possibly even looked like a scarecrow, I also couldn't move my arms properly as they were trapped inside his buttoned blazer.

"Umm, Charles? A little help here, please?" I told him as I tried to shimmy out of his coat.

"Nah, you're good," he gave me a quick glance and turned his attention back to my date. His tone was extremely nonchalant it made me suspicious, "She gets cold easily."

Brandon, who appeared as though he had no idea how to react, could only say one word, "Oh."

"Anyway, I hope I didn't disturb you guys too much. Enjoy the rest of your evening," Charles said before tapping Brandon's left shoulder twice and flashing me a huge grin. He then left as quickly as he arrived.

"Are you alright?" Brandon said as soon as he recovered from Charles' whirlwind entrance and exit. "Let me help."

"Sorry about that," I sighed as I watched his fingers unbutton the jacket. "I have no idea what just happened, I'm as clueless as you."

"I didn't know you were sensitive to the cold," he replied as he adjusted the piece of clothing Charles left on my shoulder. "Keep it on, I'd give you mine but you already have his."

I didn't say anything and just went back to my seat. We continued to eat in silence while glancing at Italy's presentation from time to time. Charles' arrival clearly soured the evening's mood.

"Hinata, I have a question," Brandon spoke as peonies, kamuros, and crossettes[1] colored the skies.

I lifted my head and looked at him. "What is it?"

"Is Atty. Arroyo your ex-boyfriend?"

"No, he's not," I answered truthfully.

"A suitor?"

"No."

Brandon looked at me for a long time, his eyes ablaze with curiosity.

"We're really just friends," I repeated the words I told him before. "Nothing more, nothing less."

"This is just from a male's perspective, but I think he sees you more than as a friend," he told me. "And to someone who is seriously pursuing you, he poses a great threat."

"Is that so?" I laughed weakly and took a sip of my punch.

"It may not be obvious to you, but it is glaringly so for me."

"If he has feelings for me, then he should have made a move years ago."

"We may never know his reasons for not making his feelings known to you back then, but one thing is for sure, he's started to make a move now," he said.

I ran my fingers through my hair in subtle frustration, this topic was making things more awkward between us. "I'd appreciate it very much if we change the topic."

"Sorry."

Just when I thought the evening was no longer salvageable and that we'd continue to be lost in each other's own thoughts, the contest winners were announced.

"And the champion in this year's pyrotechnics competition is..." the emcee slowly ripped the envelope in his hand open, silently read its contents, and announced, "From the land best known for its palaces and castles, United Kingdom!"

"I won," he laughingly said. "Woo! I won!"

"No way!" I exclaimed while looking at the very happy Brandon. "I can't believe it, you absolutely got it right!"

"Haha. We both know what this means!"

"Ugh. Philippines didn't even make it to the top three."

"We're sadly still far behind our competitors," he said but there was absolutely no trace of sadness in his voice.