Emergency

Kaname learned more and more about the twenty-first century everyday. Aside from learning about modern society, he also practiced reading and writing in the Roman alphabet with mum's help. As he was quite the fast learner, his progress was commendable.

Maybe it's because of the time he came from, but Kaname never once showed signs of being a deadbeat. He accompanied mum daily and filled in the role of the man of the house pretty well. He did chores and helped fix things, he played the role of the son-in-law perfectly.

"So what did you do today?" I asked as I wrapped my arms around Kaname's waist. We were in bed and getting ready to sleep.

"We paid the bills then dropped by the hardware store to buy some nails and tools," he answered while playing with my hair.

"Charles said your papers are almost done. Just a few weeks more and you're officially part of this century," I rested my head on his chest and breathed in his scent.

"You're always sniffing me," he chuckled. "Why is that?"

"You smell nice," I answered with a grin. "I'm obsessed with your scent."

He looked at me before bursting into laughter. "It was worse when you were pregnant, do you remember? You couldn't sleep without smelling my armpit."

"Hey, must you remind me?" I pinched his side as I felt my cheeks blush. It was true, though. I depended on the smell of his armpits to sleep at some point in my pregnancy. I didn't like talking about it because it was kind of embarrassing. I had nothing to blame but my hormones.

"This is why I love teasing you," he gave my blushing cheek a playful poke.

I rolled my eyes at him. Silence then filled the room, only the sounds of our breathing could be heard.

"Hina, may I ask you something?" Kaname asked after some time.

"Anything," I lifted my head to look at him.

"When the time comes that I finally have the documents proving my existence in this time, will you allow me to have a job?"

"Anata, I don't see anything wrong with wanting a job," I smiled at him. "Have you thought of what you'd like to do when the time comes?"

"I'd like to be able to use what I already know but it seems like swords and battle plans are not as important now as they were in the past."

"There are gyms and fitness centers that might benefit from your fighting skills."

"Riku said the same thing and he plans to introduce me to a couple of his friends."

"Whatever you plan to do, I'll support you."

"I have another question."

"Fire away."

"Does it not bother you that you're the one providing for us?" he was staring at me intently, I knew he was watching my facial expressions carefully.

"Is this why you want to work?" I caressed his face with the back of my hand.

He nodded.

"Anata, I know how responsible you are. You're not an incorrigible loafer who has never accomplished anything. You're Kirishima Kaname, one of, if not the greatest shogun in history," I shifted so I could kiss his forehead. "I am and I will always be proud of you."

"But that's all in the past. My previous title is of no use here. People don't know who and what I am. You might not mind it but I do," he said rather bitterly. "Frankly, there are times when I wish I could give you something special. These past few days made me realize that this era revolves on money. If you want something, you have to pay for it."

I pulled away from him to change into a sitting position. "Kaname, have you not learned anything from our marriage? You know I'm not fond of baubles and material things. I'm happy just being with you."

He opened his mouth to counter what I just said but I held one hand up to signal him that I'm not finished yet.

"However, I also know how important it is for you to feel accomplished. For now, keep those worries tucked away while we're still waiting for Marina to finish all the paperwork. Also, let mum enjoy the feeling of having a son longer."

"Alright, I admit defeat," he laughed. "You're so good at analyzing things."

"Of c-course," I said shakily as I felt his lips on the sensitive spot behind my earlobe.

"Is it over..?" he asked, referring to my period. We were both so disappointed when Aunt Flo came days ago as it meant no buns in the oven yet.

"Mmm-hmm."

"Good."

~~~

I was in the middle of my report presentation when Marie burst into the meeting room with a grim expression. After giving me a quick glance, she whispered something to our president's ear. The old man stood up from his chair then motioned for me to stop what I was doing and follow him. I placed the laser presentation remote on the huge conference table and left the room.

"Hina, I think you should finish your presentation some other time," Mr. Co said, a very serious expression was etched on his face.

"Why? Is there something wrong?" I asked anxiously as we continued to walk farther away from the conference room.

"Miss..." Anne walked up to us the moment she saw us. In one of her hands was my mobile phone.

"Why do you have my phone with you?" I asked.

"It was ringing incessantly so I decided to answer it. Your mother called to inform you that there's been an emergency at home," she answered worriedly. "She wants you to go to go to St. Luke's Global as soon as possible."

"Emergency?" I felt myself pale. "What—"

The rest of my sentence was interrupted by my phone ringing. I excused myself from President Co before taking three urgent strides to where Anne was standing to take it from her.

"Father was sent to the hospital for trying to save a woman from being robbed," Charles said as soon as I swiped the screen.

"Kaname got hurt?" I felt my knees weaken and I almost lost my balance. Thankfully Anne was able to catch me in time.

"I'm downstairs. Go and grab your bag, I'll drive you to the hospital," he instructed as calmly as he could.

"Yes, yes," I nodded but didn't move. I just stood there in a daze.

"Hurry!" he half-yelled, probably because he could tell that I wasn't doing anything.

"Crap," I snapped out of my stupor and dashed towards my office. I gave Anne a few quick instructions, grabbed by bag, and went straight to the elevators. The clacking of my heels punctuated every hurried step I took.

When I reached the elevators, I pressed the descend button repeatedly despite knowing that it won't make the lift come faster. I was tempted to take the stairs but that would be unwise, I was in the fourteenth floor. I breathed a huge sigh of relief when I heard a 'ding' followed by the doors opening. I stepped inside and pressed one. When I reached the first floor, I practically sprinted out of the lift then out of the building, much to the guards' surprise. When I saw Charles' black car, I immediately ran towards it. As I neared it, I felt that feeling of being watched again. I ignored it and focused on reaching Charles instead.

"Let's go!" I told him as soon as I buckled my seatbelt.