A Long And Busy Day

I had a long and busy day at work that day... Which was expected because I was away for a few days. I was glued to my desk the entire day reading and reviewing report after report. I only left my chair to eat, attend a meeting, and go to toilet breaks. By three in the afternoon, I was already feeling beyond exhausted. I was massaging my throbbing temples when I heard a knock on the door.

"Come in," I said wearily.

"Miss, have some tea," Anne said as she gingerly placed a steaming cup of green liquid on my table.

"Thank you," I smiled at her gratefully before taking a sip.

She was about to reply when my cellphone rang. Mum was calling.

"Hello," I answered while signaling Anna to wait.

"Really?" came Kaname's reluctant voice. "Can she really hear me if I spoke to this?"

"Anata?"

"Hina!" he sounded surprised and amazed. "Is... Is this really you?"

"Yes, anata," I giggled. "It's me."

"Amazing!" he laughed. "We really can talk through this!"

"Yes," I giggled again at his childlike innocence, it was slowly melting my tiredness away. "You called?"

"How are you?" he asked.

"He was worried that you're tired," mum chimed in. "He couldn't enjoy the movie we were watching because you were on his mind."

"Am I on speaker phone?" I was smiling from ear to ear and I wasn't aware of it. "So he's seen the television now, huh? Did he drive you crazy by flipping through the channels, mum?"

"Oi!" Kaname reacted. "I would never show such uncivilized behavior in front of mother."

"Anata, I was only kidding," I laughed at his indignant tone.

"Kaname is a well-behaved man, you shouldn't bully him," mum pretended to scold me. I recognized that tone very well.

"I'm sorry," I bit my lower lip to prevent the laughter bubbling up on my chest from escaping. "Anyway, I'm fine. I'll be clocking out in a few hours so there's no need to worry."

"Alright, I'll help mother prepare dinner," Kaname said.

"Thanks, anata. I'll be home before you know it."

After a few more exchanges, Kaname's call finally ended. I replaced my phone on the table.

"Sorry about that, Anne," I smiled at her apologetically. "Now where were we?"

"Miss, who was that just now?" my secretary asked nosily, her eyes gleamed with inquisitiveness. "Have you got yourself a new boyfriend? What's his name? How did the two of you meet? How long have you been together? Is he handsome? He has to be handsome!"

"It's a secret," I took my now lukewarm cup of tea, leaned back on my chair comfortably, and took another sip.

"Aw, come on!" she protested. "All you have to do is answer a few questions."

I didn't say anything and just smiled at her mysteriously.

"Fine," she said, looking completely defeated. "I'll go back to my desk."

"Good decision," I replied jokingly. "Thanks again for the tea. It's delicious, as always."

"You're welcome," Anne mumbled before walking towards the door. Before opening it, she paused and turned to say, "I'm glad you've found your happiness, Miss. It's refreshing to see you smiling happily."

~~~

I just turned off the lights inside my office when the queen bitch and her little minion blocked my way. One look at them and my head started throbbing again.

"What's this?" Rachelle asked while holding open a stamped document.

"You can read, can't you? Why do you have to ask me?" I replied wearily without bothering to even glance at the paper.

"How dare you sue us for trespassing!" her face crumpled in her anger.

"Rache, keep your voice down!" Joan whispered anxiously. "We're still in the office!"

"Why couldn't I?" I replied. "You set foot on my property without my permission and to do what? To cause trouble!"

"You, bitch!" Rachelle threw the paper on the floor and aimed her claws at me.

I didn't move and just gave her a look of warning.

"Rache!" Joan quickly grabbed her arms to restrain her.

"We're in the company premises. As a person in charge of a huge department, I'm certain you know what our code of conduct says about hurting a colleague. If you have no qualms about losing your job and getting sued for harming another person physically, then by all means go and do whatever you want to me," I took one step forward and smirked at her contorted face. "When are you going to wake up and stop blaming me for failing to capture Tyler's heart, Rachelle? I dumped him years ago and I never showed signs of wanting him back. If the incident last time doesn't prove to you that it's him who's been pestering me, I don't know what will."

"What do you have that I don't!" Rachelle wailed as tears streamed down her face. "Why can't Tyler love me! Why can't he get over you!"

"You should ask Tyler that and not me," I answered, a small part of me pitied her. "Now could you please step aside? I really want to go home now."

Joan pulled her out of the way and made her sit on a nearby office chair. Glancing at Rachelle's small baby bump made me pity her more. Because I couldn't help it, I grabbed the pack of facial tissues inside my purse and handed it to her best friend.

"For the last time, Rachelle, I don't love Tyler anymore. I've moved on years ago," I said as Joan wipe her tears with the tissues. "I know it's not my place to say this as we've always been butting heads, but take good care of yourself and the child in your womb. I know you're strong and I'd like to believe that what you have is just temporary blindness. You know what you're supposed to do but are just too afraid to make that first step."

"Shut up," she glared at me viciously. "You're only saying that because he loves you and not me! I bet, deep down, you're actually laughing and ridiculing me!"

"What would I get from that?" I shook my head in disbelief. "Nothing, obviously. My mind doesn't work that way."

"Yeah, because you've always been better than me!" she spat between clenched teeth.

I shook my head again and told her best friend, "Take care of her."

Without waiting for either of them to say anything, I turned and walked out of the office building. When I reached the spot where I parked my car at, I felt my back prickle.

Someone is staring at me.

I looked around. As it was the end of the work day, I wasn't the only person around. There were other people either walking towards, opening, or driving out in their respective cars. They all seemed to be minding their own business, making my initial feeling of being watched seem absurd. With a self-mocking smile on my lips, I opened the driver's door and started the engine. I couldn't wait to go home.