I Know I'll Definitely Be Alright

“Mahal…” Kaname called out as he swayed from side to side and stumbled closer to me. He was pale as a sheet but there was determination in his eyes.

Finding courage in his eyes, I decided to move my own arms and knees to meet him halfway. I ignored my own pain the way he was enduring his. Every move was pure agony but I had to be with the man I love… Unfortunately the faceless man wouldn’t just sit and watch us do what we wanted successfully. When Kaname and I were only a foot apart, his clouds surrounded us then turned into vicious vines as thick as my arm. The vines wrapped around us and lifted us in the air, Kaname and I gasped at the suffocating pain.

“I have waited for a very long time to exact my revenge,” the faceless man said after letting out another bone chilling cackle. He flew towards my husband and mercilessly pulled out the arrow from his chest, causing his wound to bleed profusely.

“Who are you!?” Kaname asked through gritted teeth, his odd eyes were ablaze with fury.

“I’m hurt that you’ve forgotten,” our powerful captor said in mock dejection. “Was it really that easy to forget about me?”

As soon as he uttered the last word, Kaname cried out in pain. The vines wrapped around him tightened and was squeezing him painfully.

“Please, stop! You’re hurting him!” I cried out.

The faceless man turned and darted towards me, his cold fingers wiped away my tears.

“Stop crying,” his tone was both reprimanding and angry. “Your tears, your laughter, your smiles, your heart… All of it should belong to me but you gave it to this man!”

“What do you want, tell me and I’ll do it… Just please release him…”

“I only want you! You are mine but how dare you give yourself to him!”

“Please… I didn’t know!” I was saying things I didn’t want to say but I had to free Kaname. “I’ll come with you! I’ll leave him and come with you…Let him go and we can be together forever.”

“H-Hinata, d-don’t…” Kaname managed to say despite his obvious discomfort.

The vines that bound him tightened even more, his face turned blue as he struggled to breathe.

“Please!” I screamed loudly, I felt hopeless and useless and angry. “I already told you I’ll leave him and be with you, what else do you want!?”

“I want you to get rid of the little monsters in your womb,” the faceless man said, his voice void of any emotion.

My mind went blank as soon as I heard his demand. I couldn’t utter a single word, I just looked at him in shock and horror.

“So what do you think? Your children’s lives for this man’s freedom, sounds like a fair trade doesn’t it?”

A fair trade? He was totally out of his mind!

“Insane…” I whispered. “You’re insane…”

I felt him grinning evilly before he snapped his fingers. The unspoken command caused the vines around Kaname to mercilessly break his bones like a boa constrictor would before eating its prey.

“Stop! No!” I screamed as I heard my husband’s bones being crushed. Kaname tried to struggle out of the vines' grip but he was already out of breath to begin with. His eyes slowly turned from agonized to shocked to lifeless. “Anata!”

No… No… He can’t die! The faceless man cackled again.

“Now it’s those parasites’ turn!” he pointed a clawed finger at me and I was automatically enveloped in pain.

“Not my babies! Please! They’re the only ones I have left!”

The pain intensified and I felt warm liquid slithering down my legs from the apex of my thighs.

“My babies, no…” I said weakly before everything turned black.

~~~

“Hina, wake up!” a worried yet urgent voice commanded me as an equally distressed meowing could also be heard in the background. “Wake up, my love!”

I opened my eyes and saw the face of the man I will always and forever love. Although his skin was a bit flushed and his eyes held a touch of panic, he looked well… The total opposite of how I last saw him.

“A-anata, you’re a-alive…” I managed to say as my whole body heaved with noiseless, convulsive sobs which choked me. “Y-you’re alive, he d-didn’t manage to k-kill you…”

“Silly woman, of course I’m alive!” he said before drawing me into a fierce hug. “How can I die? I can’t die knowing that it will break your heart. I simply won’t allow it.”

“But t-the faceless m-man,” I insisted, still not recovered from the physical and mental pain I just went through.

“It was all a dream,” his tone was soothing and assuring now. “You just had a bad dream. I’m here, I’m alive and kicking.”

“He k-killed you a-and harmed o-our b-babies,” I sobbed, my tears were endless.

“Shh… No one can harm our family while I’m here,” he broke our hug to kiss my forehead. A slightly annoyed feline protested beside us, he chuckled and added, “And while Panther is here as well. We’ll protect you.”

I wiped my tears with the back of my hand before turning to look at my agitated senior cat. His pupils were dilated, his ears were back and flat against his head while his tail was thumping very fast. I reached out my hand cautiously, Panther's odd eyes followed my hand's movement and for a second I thought he was going to pounce at it. Instead, he stretched his body so he could touch his head to my hand. His tail finally relaxed and he began purring as I patted him.

“Sorry for scaring you both,” I said sheepishly.

“It’s a good thing mother is already asleep in her room so she didn’t hear you,” Kaname sighed and hugged me again. “I was about to turn off the lights when you suddenly started screaming and crying like you were being tortured. As if that wasn’t enough to put me on edge, Panpan here started yowling.”

“Sorry again but really, I’m fine now,” I assured him.

“I’m not Hinohara-sensei, but I can tell that all the stress is getting to you. I’ll instruct Riku to hasten the selection process for the bodyguards. I don’t want you bottling up your worries and fears, it’s not good for the little ones in your belly.”

His last sentence brought a smile on my face.

“Thanks, papa, for always taking good care of us,” I told him gratefully as I breathed in his comforting scent.

“You don’t have to thank me, mama.” I could hear the smile in his voice. “You will always be my priority.”

Panther mewled, reminding us both that he was also in the room. Kaname laughed and scooped him up to smoosh his face which he seemed to love. As I watched the odd-eyed two exchange affection, my heart totally calmed down. Whatever my dream meant, I know I’ll definitely be alright.