Overnight Celebrity

Two months later

Scarlett sat in the dimly lit studio in a long sweater dress and snow boots. She was having problems with her pants already. Royce was just off set in her vision. He sent her a thumbs up with a smile. In return, Scar blushed. She really loved his goofy ass.

Cari Champion walked on set and the lights got a little brighter. She was dressed warmly, weave and skin immaculate. "I am so honored that you chose me to have this very personal interview with." She gives Scarlett a warm hug.

"It's not many black women interviewers out there so I have to champion, no pun intended, for you all."

"Likewise. Are you ready to get started?" Champion asked. Scarlett nodded while rubbing her little bump.

"Let's get started." Scarlett smiles. The camera is rolling.

"Good evening, my name is Cari Champion and I am sitting with the sports agency phenomenon, Scarlett Newman for an ultra-exclusive interview. Prepare to get inside the mind of the most sought-after agent in the industry next to Rich Paul." Cari greeted the fans. "Now, Scarlett, the most obvious question we all want to know the answer to is, what made you want to be an agent?"

"That's easy. My deceased ex-boyfriend was slated to be a first round NFL draft pick and unfortunately, he died before he fulfilled that dream." She stops to take a breath. "And I went on to major in theatre in college. During that time, one of the best quarterbacks to come from my university was given a very lazy deal for his first contract."

She stops for a moment to glance at Royce. Her rock. "And I remembered, Zack saying if he ever got to the league, he'd want to get the most for his value. For the strain and stress on his body. And I never forgot that."

"Do you apply that saying to all of your players?" Cari presents the interview as a conversation.

"Yes. Why low ball yourself? These owners get millions a night from commercials, tv contracts, and merchandise, why not cash in for yourself too? They're capitalizing on your talent. You should too."

"You know so much about the industry, were you an athlete yourself and did it help you in this business later?"

"Hell no. I was a theatre kid from third grade until my freshman year of college. Being in theatre helped me sell myself though. Make myself appealing to these players. Aside from my work preceding me, my gift of gab helps too. I left theatre after freshman year in college and changed my major to marketing, and then I went into agent training. And from there, I went to law school so I can learn contractual jargon and entertainment law."

"Oh, you really a Jackie of all trades? How long have you been an agent?"

"Including when I was just getting started...hmm, about 6 years at 19 years old. Back then I was shadowing a lawyer that was doing it and he always told me to look at myself as an agent even before I got my first client."

"Now this is all interesting. Why did you conceal your true identity from everyone?"

"I didn't hide it from those that mattered, my clients. They always knew I was a woman. It was the owners and GMs that couldn't handle a woman telling them A, B, C, and X, Y, Z. People don't give these players more credit. They're more progressive than we think. Besides, my works speak for itself. They want more money and exposure. I can get them that, the max of their worth. And everybody wins."

"What made you shed the Scar persona?"

"Oh, I'm still Scar. That's not going anywhere." She lets out a laugh with a belly rub. "But what made me reconsider was, my now fiancé, Royce. For the first time, I wasn't in control and it was a culture shock of sorts. I felt like I had run out of options in order to come out on top. So we met and...really the rest is history." She gives him a wink.

"And what were the reactions to you being a woman? Considering you made the announcement on the biggest night of sports."

"Death threats, some misogynistic comments. But I do remember turning off my phone for a few days and just re-evaluating a lot of things. I credit my future husband for helping me see different perspectives." She looks over there again. "And teaching me how to slow down sometimes."

"Well bring him on set, you keep looking over there." Cari motions for a chair and Royce sits down. "What would your advice for women trying to break into the circle?"

"Be your damn self. And be passionate about your players. People can feel disingenuity and the last thing you wanna be known as is an ingenuine agent. Be firm in what you set your principles to be...find your niche and go for it. The ceiling for us is like...not even touched."

"How does it feel to be a woman who happens to be the most sought after and top agent out there amongst a male dominated field?"

Royce holds her hand gently. "I would say, it's crazy. Fulfilling but crazy. I'm doing what I love without having to sacrifice too much. And since I'm pregnant, I work from home a lot. I would say being in this field is a balance."

"Speaking of baby, when you are you due?"

"Oooh you wanna know too much sis." Scarlett motions to get up.

"Well, when is the wedding?"

"Aht, aht. All y'all need to know is, I'm taken." She pulls Royce into her protectively. "And so is he."

The cameras and lights turn off. "Thank you for this, Scarlett. You gave a great interview."

"Thank you, I try. Now, that's it from me." She lays down the law to Cari. "No more interviews from me." Scar raises her eyebrows. "Got it?"

"Yes ma'am..." Royce leads Scarlett out of the studio.

"I'm ready for food now...or do you have to go back to work?"

"Work..." he rolls his eyes. "Wanna go?" he holds the car door open for her.

"Eh...for a minute. I got a bone to pick with Grey." She slides into warm seats.

An hour later, after lunch in Royce's office, Scarlett moved around the office familiarizing herself with the building. "Greyson! Just the man I wanted to see. We need to talk."

"About what, Scar?" his eyes widened.

Scar sits down. "Have you found her?"

"I'm about to give up on allat, Scar."

Scarlett's face fell. "Don't give up yet...Nana Elle said she's close."

"Not close enough." He stares out of the window sadly.