A Rider

November
The week before Thanksgiving

Sierra stood in the living room of the mansion in her thoughts. Everest was getting ready to go the field one last time for the wrap up of the year. Mating season was successful as usual. Part of that was because of Sierra and her motherly care of the whole team. Her weekly breakfast gatherings at the rowhouse was something everybody looked forward to.

She'd even taken to doing cooking lessons with some of the men's wives to show them how to plan for big meals. Slowly becoming the very woman Everest knew she could be...naturally.

The snow was coming down lightly. Her favorite time of the year but she could do without the cold. Ironic right?

"We leaving for Miami on Monday." He announced randomly on his way out of the door.

"Hol' up. What you mean we?" Sierra grabs a coat to go after him.

"My plane will be ready by then. What's the issue? I thought you wanted to go home for the holiday.

"I mean I do. I am rather... I thought I was going commercially?"

"Commercial?" his nose wrinkles in distaste. "I have two private planes unless you don't wanna fly with me...that can be arranged." He mounts his horse, looking down at her in confusion.

A field hand helps her on her horse. Well the horse Everest was insistent on her riding. Her riding lessons weren't going well in fact, but he liked it, so Si was going to try to get into it.

They are going at a leisurely pace. Their horses were coincidently mates, too...

"Ev! I don't remember you saying anything about this though...I already bought my ticket!"

"Okay, damn. I'll reimburse you. I'm rich, get used to it. But we are leaving Monday."

"I'm not ready to meet your family." The wind whips around. "I don't think we're in that space yet."

"It hasn't even been a year. I get it...I guess." He grimaces. Knowing a someone was going to have a say about it.

The Bonded pair is quiet as they get to the stables. "I think it's so sweet you bought me a horse, but I hate horseback riding, Everest."

"But you love me so...shuddup." He flashes a big smile. She sends him a middle finger behind his back. "I bet you do but you just got dick this morning."

"I hate you!" she laughed as she is helped down. Sierra walks behind him with one of the field hands. "I want a golf cart instead. I'm gonna need it when you get the land over the mountain."

"IF, not when."

"No baby...when. I'm in negotiations with Mr. Frank too." she smiles smugly. "He was my landlord before I moved to Denver. It's a chance he'll sell to you if I'm represented in here."

Everest checks a horse. "So, what you saying Si?"

"I'm saying, smart ass, I need to go to the meetings!"

Everest shakes his head. "Okay, Sierra. Since this is your idea anyway."

"Shuddup. You want that land just as bad. Don't flex." She calls him out. "Seriously, I'm going shopping for a golf cart. I can't be hauling food on a horse."

"Okay Sierra. Whatever pleases you." He chuckles.

The following Wednesday, Sierra sat next to Everest as several other businessmen went back and forth, some rather aggressive. Others passive aggressive.

Mr. Franklin sat in amusement with his daughter, listening to pitches for the 500,000 acres of land up for grabs.

"This is boring." Sierra yawns. "And they wonder why I left business."