Our Mistakes

Over the course of the next few weeks, Sierra made sure to avoid Everest at all costs. She blocked his number and kept pushing with her life. Even going so far to not even go to her favorite bar after finding out he was a regular there.

But at this point, Everest had reached his pressure point. At first playing it cool, letting her calm down. But when he called her to speak and finding out that she'd blocked him, he was going to pull up.

It was one thing to avoid him, decline the job offer, but block him? Nah.

"What the fuck are you doing here though?" Sierra snatched her door open.

"I came to see you." Everest pushes himself in her apartment. The moonlight shone bright through the kitchen window.

"No, you don't get a right to see me." She crossed her arms. "What if I had a guest in here!"

"You don't and you not going to." His nostrils flared up.

"Fuck you bruh. And if I do, you ain't gon do shit about it! I'm not yours." Her rebuttal hangs in the balance. "You don't have no control over this..." she gestures to her apartment. "Space. Back at the cabin, that's all you. But now this is me."

Everest's usually bright eyes had darkened.

"If I wanna fuck somebody else in my apartment I can do just that!" She continues. "I don't know what you thought this was but I pay-" he snatched her up and took her to her room.

"You just sayin shit thinking it'll hurt me. You not goin nowhere and neither am I." Sierra snatched away. Sparks bounce between the couple.

"Nigga what!" She sits on her knees on her bed. "I am grown. If I want somebody else, I can have someone else. Period."

"Then why haven't you tried?"

"What?" she wasn't prepared for that.

"Why haven't you tried? You heard me."

Sierra doesn't have a comeback. Everest realizes this.

"He won't know anything about you like I do though so go head." Everest stands over the bed in true Minnelli charm. "He won't know you afraid of the dark. How you talk in yo sleep...you an obsessive cleaner. How you like the right side of your face rubbed, or how you like the right side of the bed-"

"Shut up, Everest." She avoids his eyes. "We just got comfortable. There's nothing here. And even if it was, you omitting the fact that you're a fucking BILLIONAIRE changes everything! You could've told me that. Give me the option of whether or not to..." she stops herself.

"Whether or not what?"

"If I wanted to...fall for you anyway." Her eyes avert from the window to him and back again. "Get out Everest. I don't want to see you right now."

"You not mad at the fact that I have money. That part is irrelevant to you. You mad because I didn't consider your feelings in my decision in whether I'm going to tell you just who I was. And for that I apologize." He reaches for her. Sierra slaps his hands away from her. Tingles warm her skin anyway. "You can act mad all you want but I'm not going to stop fighting for you."

"Leave me alone Everest. Nothing you saying sounds true at this point."

"You'll get it at some point. I can wait." Everest straightens his posture to leave her apartment as she requested. Sierra, in a fit of unjustified anger, threw her pillow at his retreating back.

The last of the snow storms were coming down in the coming days after Everest's departure of Sierra's apartment. Due to her technically being out of work, Sierra spent a lot of time doing online tax work as a freelance accountant.