A Jolt of Reality

Ice Cliff, Colorado

Everest woke up early enough to go on the other side of his land to check on Sierra's truck. His heart tugged on him as he watched her instinctively flop on his side of huge bed. A smile graced his lips. In five minutes, he was gone.

Greyson stood outside his shop with the keys to her truck. Words of gratitude were exchanged and Ev drove it back to its exact spot on County Road 13.

When he got back, the cabin was back to its original stance, although clean. Sierra sat in the armchair in front of the fire with her original clothes and boots on.

"You ready to go now?" he couldn't hide the disappointment in his voice if he wanted to.

"I am. I have to get ready for my new job and type up my two weeks' notice for the general store. Plus I haven't been to my cabin to get it in order. Hopefully my pipes haven't burst or anything. As much as I would like to stay just a little longer, I got shit to do." She meets him at the door.

Everest doesn't respond but he follows her out of his cabin. Their interaction is impersonal at best. Very few words are exchanged.

"Kiss?" he asks her as they got closer to the truck.

"You not concerned if someone sees?" she searches his face. Everest shakes his head no. Sierra gives him a weak kiss on the cheek and takes a few steps away. "It's been fun." She waves goodbye.

"I don't like goodbyes, Si."

"Don't act like that. You got my number, we could hang out again another time." Her idea of pushing him away was pissing him off but he doesn't say anything.

"You could at least give me a real kiss. I do know what it feels..." he stops himself from being too explicit. This is an intimate moment between them. Must be handled with care. "I wanna see you again."

"Right now, you do. Just riding the waves of the last few days. If you feel this way in about two weeks, we can arrange something." Sierra offers. Everest is over her evasiveness and makes his way to the truck. He cages her in and brushes his lips across hers gently, then aggressively, and finally sensually.

"So I'm guessing I'll see you soon?" he whispers. The cold is hardly a thing to them as their bodies warm up because of each other.

Sierra opened her eyes. Wow, she thought. "I take that as a yes." Everest continues when she doesn't respond. Well, she couldn't get herself together to respond.

She steps away from him finally and gets into her truck, driving away.

Once Sierra was at home for the night, she began getting her cabin in order. Bone chilling cold, she took the time to get her fire going. But is annoyed because she has to do it herself.

She gets started on her resignation letter. She was taught to be tactful and send a resignation letter, even for a job at a general store. You never know when you may need the job again and the way her life is set up, it's possible that she could be back for the job again. Best to leave on good terms.

Dear Mr. EM,

Please accept this letter as formal notification that I am resigning from my position as cashier with Ice Cliff General Store. My last day will be in two weeks. I have enjoyed the regular customers. Thank you for this opportunity to become one with the community that's opened its arms to me from the start.

During my last two weeks, I'll do everything possible to wrap up my duties and train other team members. Please let me know if there's anything else I can do to aid during the transition.