Getting Answers

A few weeks later

Mia and her old roommate Mari sat on her couch with Roman in Mari's arms. It had been months since they'd linked up. The last time had been before Roman was born actually.

"Nephew! You getting so big now." She kissed all over the baby. He loved female attention. Hmm, interesting.

Mia shakes her head at them. Mari had moved back home because of job opportunity there so it all worked out.

"I'm fallin in love with my boss." Mia blurts.

"Say what?" Mari looks up in total confusion. "Minnelli? You falling for a Minnelli you say?"

"Yes." She confesses again. "We had sex in one of the break rooms at work."

"Whoa whoa whoa bitch. Back up, rewind. I need context here." She scoots closer to her friend. "When did this start?"

"I wish I knew...it's like a weird progression of his personality. And he's taken an interest in Roman. I'm not sure what the fuck is going on." She sighs. Baby toys had taken over the room, courtesy of Stone as well. Little clothes and a football helmet too. "He's not mean to me like he is to the other employees. At least not anymore."

"Aye bruh, don't be grabbing on me like you my man." Mia playfully fussed. Stone rolls his eyes and lifts her in his arms. There was a secret bedroom in the basement of the Corporation where his old office is. "And I don't appreciate you attempting to yell at me. I don't like that."

"I'm sorry princess..." he kisses all over her. Where and when did this change? Two weeks ago...after the "first time".

Their lunch was delivered a few minutes later, stopping their movements just in time. Japanese food today.

"How is Roman?" Stone couldn't resist. A warm bubble engulfed her chest. "Did he like the bouncy thingy?"

"He is fine...stop spending money on my kid, sir."

"I spend money on what I want to spend money on. You can't stop that." his smug grin kills her. What is this feeling and why can't I control it?

"What makes you think you're in love? Like maybe infatuation? Good dick clouds all judgement in that arena, Mia." Mari suggests.

"Well, the first half of the day is really professional and I spend a lot of time downstairs. And then the second half of the day, at lunch specifically, we hang out. There's a sitting room in the basement and we watch Netflix. He helps me with my statistics class sometimes and I just get this feeling..."

"This bitch done fell for a nice ass Minnelli. Lord help her..." Mari shakes her head. "What else?"

"Roman loves him. And you know my baby don't care for nobody. Like they best friends. Sometimes I think Rome would rather have Stone as his mother and not me." She smiles at her baby. "That's why he keeps looking at the door. Stone is supposed to come by but he's not because of a business trip. And my baby has been stalking the door ever since."

"He's encouraged me to go back to school...even though it's for a raise. It's still encouraging..."

"Babies attach themselves to people they feel should be in a bigger role for them. Consistent people. And judging by the amount of stuff in this room, Stone has gotten attached to him...and you." She points to a hickey clearing up on Mia's neck.

"You need to make a decision on some things. Because a man like Stone with no children, but very wealthy, may cling to you because he has no children. You need to decide if you want to find Roman's father. I would hate for it to be two and three years later and Stone has moved on..." Mari continues. "Mail two copies, one for you and one for him."

Mia doesn't say anything at first.

As harsh as the words may have sounded in the moment, it was nothing short of what Mia had been thinking. "That brings me to another thing. I can't prove it really but I feel like Stone and I had had relations at one point."

"You need to get a DNA test done. You say you work with him...get his coffee cup."

"Bitch! Without permission?"

"Everybody involved needs peace of mind, Mia! You falling for the nigga, he's falling for you and your kid. Don't let him sign up for a family he didn't create! Do nothing but find out the truth and go from there."

The next week, Mia does just that. She gets a home DNA test and packages one of Roman's pacifiers. And, she takes Stone's coffee cup out of the trash can. She sends it to the lab and waits for results.

"Don't let him bounce all over the bed like that!" Mia came back in her room with snacks.

"Bruh he good." Roman bounces between them excitedly. He woke up from his nap to Stone picking him up out of the crib. Saturday afternoon.

This has become their routine. Stone would come on Friday sometimes Saturday and stay until Sunday evening.

Her doorbell rang. It was just after 6 pm on a Friday night. Roman played on the floor with his favorite stuffed animal. Mia sat on her couch, reading over her homework for the weekend. A hard knock followed.

"I'm coming!" she yells. She opens the door and Stone is standing there with a duffle bag in hand. "Where you going!"

"To see y'all."

"Stone!" he walks right passed her, flops the bag in her room, washes his hands and picks the baby off the floor.

"Wassup dude!" and secretly, Mia wished he'd never leave them again. Seeing the smile on her child's face...Stone's face. They were made for each other.

Mia rolls her eyes before hitting the play button on Netflix. She laid her head on his shoulder while Roman sat on Stone's chest. The moment felt intimate, relaxing. Clearly, they were blurring the lines but, Rome was happy. So, Mia was going to keep letting them build a Bond.

Roman claps and wiggles around.

"Maybe I'm crazy but I feel like Roman is my son." Stone had been feeling this for weeks. "We both went to that party. I know I had sex with you then too."

"All that proves is we had sex."

"That's true. But, he has green eyes like me. You don't have them..." his eyes watched her. "I remember that night clearly now. Your shirt said bad ass. And you wore shorts. I invited you back to my room upstairs but we never made up there."

"Like I said it only proves we had sex."

"I didn't use a condom bruh. I only opened the wrapper."

Her head spun a little. And then she gagged over her pizza. "...like I didn't the last few times, including last night."

Mia doesn't respond. She waits until they are both occupied so she could disappear to her bathroom.

"This is too much."

She pulls one of the unused pregnancy tests out from under the counter to take it.

Positive.

What. The. Fuck.