Just Got Real...

Stone took some time to himself while Mia wasn't at work. His thoughts were filled with the night he spent with the little green-eyed baby. Roman that night was a complete contrast to his behavior when his mother took him away from the meeting.

"That's yo baby nigga!" Greyson called him every day ever since then and stopped by his office almost every hour on the hour to tell him.

"I did not have sex with her bruh. I am always precise. I use a condom!" Stone is adamant about that part. Greyson is unconvinced. So, Stone let him think what he wanted to think.

"My name is Stone and I like running shit lil dude." Stone rubbed the baby's head as he looked at the files sprawled all over his desk. The baby's mouth shaped into a smile. "Yeah, see, this business shit ain't hard. When you old enough, and if yo mama still working for me, I'll show you."

Roman shifted deeper into Stone's body, deeper into sleep. Stone loved the warm feeling in his chest when the child moved. He held on to the shirt and used his thigh and stomach as a pillow.

The two take a break from work and Stone finds himself standing in the adjacent room from his doorway. Mia looked like she'd finally gotten the best sleep of her life on a barely blown up air mattress. The baby rubbed his nose in Stone's beard. I don't need to get attached.

"Aye, you not slick. You need ta go ta bed lil dude. Just cuz ya mama not watching you, don't mean you get off yo routine." He fussed as he closed the door. Roman looked up at him unimpressed.

Stone is finessed into keeping him up longer. "Aight, a few mo minutes but it's midnight..."

Roman kicked his legs playfully and closed his eyes, finally asleep for good.

Stone shook himself out of his thoughts and got back to work from his home office. He had to detox from last week himself.

Meanwhile, Roman and Mia were at the park. He was swinging in the swing with his mother pushing him. Ms. Laveau sat on the side of them, noticing a change in the baby immediately.

"He's met his father." She is not asking.

"What?" Mia frowns. "No, I told you. I had to work overnight and he had to go with me."

"And he met his father." Ms. Laveau insists. "He's so calm now..."

"He's just enjoying the swing."

"Mia, you may be in denial or scared about who that child's father is. But Miz Laveau knows and sees all things. His father is a very powerful man, owns a lot of things. Has a lot of money...may be even comes from a powerful family. And when he is ready to do so, he will come for his child. If he hasn't already."

Ms. Laveau picks Roman out of the swing and into the stroller. "Let's go eat. I'm hungry chile."

Two weeks later, everything is back to normal. Except a few things.

"Good morning!" Her usual cheery disposition is not received today. Slight fear gripped her heart. Mia shrugs it off, going about her business.

In the copy room, where most of the women engage in conversation, stopped talking when she walks in the room.

The older women look at her over their glasses. So, one of the women that called themselves the mother of the group, approached her.

"Mia, baby. We need to talk. And know that this is a no judgement zone."

She turns around and gives the older woman her undivided attention. "I'm not sure I'm following you."

"Is that baby of yours, one of the Minnelli's?"

Mia blinks, not sure to cuss the lady out or not. "I don't understand how that's any of your business who his father is?" Hair on the back of her neck stood up.

"Oh honey...don't act coy. None of us in here-"

Mia holds up a hand. "I'm not having this conversation with any of you about my son. And who his father is. And he is certainly not a Minnelli's son." The copier finished. She gathers her things and leaves.

Mia places Stone's hot coffee on his desk and left the room. Her mouth is set, her eyes welling with tears.

After a bathroom break, she sits at her office, responding to emails. Stone is disappointed in her for not coming to keep up banter with him. It was their morning routine. For some reason, her daily fucking with him got him flowing for the day. He liked it.

He comes out of his office to find her sitting with her leg shaking at her desk. Curiosity got the best of him. "What's wrong with you Mia?"

She doesn't respond immediately, choosing to focus on the task at hand. "I sent that email ten minutes ago." She blurts.

"Okay, but I'm not concerned about work right now. Is it Roman?" hearing her son's name off his lips sent a warm bubble to her chest. "How is he? Is he sick?"

Mia chooses to continue to look at Stone's schedule. "You have a two pm meeting directly after lunch. I'm sending the minutes now." She is working hard to avoid his eyes. The eyes so much like her son's. Mia shakes her head to push the thought down.

"Hey!" his voice boomed in the space. "I asked a question." He turned her face to him using an index finger and his thumb. The few seconds feel like hours. The action was far too intimate for her liking and she snatches away.

"What do you want, Stone? Nothing is wrong with my baby and I would prefer if everybody stopped fucking asking me." She slams the files in his hands. Everest comes up the hall as she storms away from her desk. He lifts his eyebrows in confusion at his cousin.

"What did you do? Mia looks pissed. And I had a question for her." Everest crosses his arms.

"I didn't do anything. Somebody pissed her off this morning. And I don't even know if it's my place to find out who."

"Well..." Everest thought about how Sierra would handle it and smirked. They had discussed the baby situation and she encouraged Ev to push his cousin toward finding the truth for himself. "I would say, her mood leads to a lack of productivity, mistakes. And mistakes costs time which then cost us money."

Not even realizing the reverse psychology that is being played on him, Stone nods his head in agreement. He leaves Mia's office space (not even a whole office) and heads to the break room.

"Well all I know is, that baby has emerald green eyes. And the Minnelli's are the only true black men I've ever seen with green eyes in my life."

"She can play dumb all she wants but she fucked one of em to secure a bag." Mhms are echoed throughout the room.

Stone walks in the room and they all scatter, pretending to be doing some type of mediocre work. "So run that by me again. Mia did what to what?"

The woman could've been swallowed by the floor but the universe isn't that kind.

"See, y'all always talking shit about what you don't even fuckin know. The next time I hear, think I hear, or have proof of hearing y'all talk shit about another employee and employer, everybody in this bitch fired. Do I make myself clear?" his voice is so calm, the women didn't know if he was mad or not. "DO I make myself clear!"

"Yes sir." They croaked. Stone leaves the break room, more irritated than when he left his office.