Chapter 56: Asking

Song: White Shadows - Henderson David

Don't forget to leave a vote xx

Hope's POV:

"This is really delicious." I say, putting another piece of meat into my mouth.

Wesley smiled triumphantly and Eli rolled his eyes.

The two of them made a bet that if Wesley's cooking was terrible, Eli would have to pay for his own cotton candy at the races this weekend.

"Sorry Eli." I giggle and he shrugs.

"Looks like you're paying for your own shit Elijah." Wesley taunted and Eli growled.

"Quit calling me that." He grunted.

Chance looked slightly annoyed as he glared at Wesley. Wesley seemed as though he didn't even register and continued to antagonise the crazy haired boy.

"What? You don't like it when I call you Elijah?" He grinned, poking Eli in the head with the end of of fork.

Suddenly, a burst of rage that I never would've thought lived inside of Eli exploded and he jumped up, picking his plate up and throwing it at the wall.

I gasped, jumping as Chance grabbed me. Wesley's eyes bulged out of his head and Eli screamed;

"WHY DON'T YOU FUCKING LISTEN!"

With that, he spun on his heels and ran out of the kitchen. The sound of heavy footsteps and the slam of a door rang through the now silent apartment.

"You're a fucking dick, Wes." Chance growled.

Wesley's face held guilt as his head was hung low. I watched him turn his head and stare at the mess on the floor and wall.

"I'll go check on him." He mumbled.

"No, he obviously doesn't want to see you. Clean up the mess, I'll go. Hope come with me." Chance ordered, letting me get up myself as he made his way out of the kitchen.

"I'm so sorry. I didn't mean-."

"This has nothing to do with you." Wesley cut in sharply.

"I shouldn't have said anything."

"This wasn't about the food." He mumbled.

I was now even more confused.

"Hope." A voice boomed. I quickly followed.

Once I saw Chance standing outside of the door, the sound of someone crying was evident.

"Chance, what happened? Why?" I whispered.

He placed his finger against his lips.

"Come here." He tugged me away from the door.

"The reason why Eli reacted like that was because he's adopted."

My mouth hung open.

"Wait... what?" I asked.

"He's real parents died by a mass shooting right in front of him. He got out into the orphanage system and was adopted by some drug dealers when he was 7. His adoptive dad would call him Elijah and beat him while his adoptive mom was getting high." Tears blinded my eyes as I stood there in shock.

"Wesley found him on the streets when he was younger and instantly had to help him. He's been living with him since he was young."

"How did I never know this?" I questioned.

"Because we all promised him we would never utter a word about his past. He's embarrassed and hates himself for it. Why do you think he acts like a child? He never got to have a proper childhood." Chance said, his eyes sad.