‘Molly!’ she shouted. ‘It’s not a closed adoption! We get to visit the baby, get sent pictures all at the discretion of the adoptive family of course ..’

‘Wow! Isn’t that amazing, you get all the good parts without all the crap? We wanted the baby for all it was. And you don’t think that getting monthly letters and pictures will kill him even more? A monthly reminder of the gorgeous little baby he had to give up because of you? A reminder of how much he misses her! Of how much he wants to raise her!?’ She looked down.

‘No! if you want to give the baby away, do it fully! Don’t dangle it in front of Justin, don’t set him up for what he can’t have!’ She looked down. Christian was holding me back. I wouldn’t hit her, she’s pregnant, but I guess he didn’t want me in her face since she could in theory hit me.

‘What are you still doing here?!’ Christian shouted as I cried into his shoulder.

I heard her get back into the lift and it went down. ‘Thanks’ I smiled over at him, wiping my eyes.

‘No problem’ he grinned.

‘You can stay if you want? Or you can leave, don’t think you need to be here for me’ I laughed.

‘if it’s okay, I’ll stay he’s gonna need some help’ Christian smiled.

‘he’s lucky to have you’ I smiled at him.

‘I could say the same about you’ he grinned.

The lift pinged again. ‘we should just get a revolving door for this place’ I laughed. A man came over with a clipboard.

‘Hi is this the Bieber-Fraser residence?’ he asked politely.

I nodded. ‘we have your stuff from Canada, could you please sign for it?’

I sighed. The only reason we were moving down here was for the baby. ‘Not much I can do now’ I sighed signing the sheet. The men all started to bring up boxes of stuff.

‘hey Christian, I’m gonna go talk to him, can you do me a favour and go get me all of his favourite food you can find? I think we should treat this like a break up you know, loads of crap, your friends there for you, what do you think?’ I smiled.

‘Sounds good to me’ he smiled as he ran out.

I sighed and turned to walk out to the balcony. As I did something in one of th boxes caught my eye. I grabbed it and continued out. I walked over to him. He looked dead. It was heart breaking.

‘hey’ I said softly as I sat down next to him. He just kept staring forward. ‘You wanna talk?’ I said softly.

‘What’s there to talk about, I’m not the Mom, I don’t decide.’ he sighed just watching everything from the balcony.

I sighed again, what do you say to that? ‘I’m not gonna sit here and say it’s all gonna be okay, because that would be lying to you, and I would never lie to you. What she did was terrible… she came in like 10 minutes ago.’ I said softly.

‘yeah I heard’ he smiled a little.

‘Me or her?’ I smiled slightly.

‘Mainly you … I half expected you to hit her’ he laughed softly.

‘yeah, Christian held me back’ I smiled. ‘Did you hear … what she said?’

‘Open adoption’ he said, his face returning to lifeless.

I nodded, ‘what do you think?’ I said softly.

‘Well part of me agrees with you, it’s not fair to only get the good bits and none of the crap, to only see my child when the parents decide… but then another part of me thinks that I should do anything I can to see my child, even for a split second.’ He rested his head on the ledge.