Chapter 31

Thank you for reading Enjoy 😊

The Next day

Charlie

Despite everything it's a beautiful morning. The sun is just cresting over the horizon, there's a crisp coolness in the air, a light dew on the grass and the smell of a storm coming in. I can smell a fireplace going in the distance and I know Ryan is up getting ready for the day. I couldn't sleep once again and have found myself somewhere I should have come to the day I arrived.

I couldn't bring myself to come here sooner. By seeing their graves meant they are truly gone and I won't see them again. It's a fact I've known but didn't want to accept. I left Ryan a note this morning and took a long walk out here to far north field where my grandparents are buried. Sitting here between their two headstones I wonder what they think of me, of what I've done and what will happen next. And so I talk to them for the first time since coming home.

"I'm sorry about not coming sooner, things have been hard ... busy, crazy, I guess. I met Ryan we didn't get along too well at first but Ryan and I have gotten married and we're having a baby soon. Pops gave me away, I thought that would be okay with you.

We've had problems here with financing and father. I killed my father, you probably know that by now. Although I doubt he's where you are, son of a bitch that he is. Steven is in jail but I think they'll let him go. I need Natalie to tell her story about what happened, otherwise it's my word against his. I know how this plays out, I won't be believed and he'll go free. It's happened before when I went to the police in New York, it'll happen again if I don't have anyone to back my story. I don't know what to do now. I wish you were here. I wish I had come last year and the year before to see you. I should have listened to you when you begged me not to go to New York in the first place. I was so stupid." I talk to the marbled blocks and cry over everything I can't change, everything I did wrong and everything I miss. I never should have left here. I miss them so much.

"Why did you let me go or let me stay there if you knew how bad he was? Did you know what he was doing to me? Am I that bad of a person to deserve that? I don't understand how this happened to me? How it was allowed and no one stepped in to help me?" I was crying so hard I didn't notice the rain was starting. I heard the thunder in the distance but I didn't move from my spot.

"Did you know I wanted to die so many times just to escape him? I just don't understand what's wrong with me that no one helped me. Not until Ryan. He's the only one that has been willing to stand up for me. He risked his life to save me." I swipe hard at the tears and rain on my face.

Curling up on the ground I lie in the growing wet grass and snuggle with my grandparents, the only way I can now. I hope I've done the right thing. I hope I get to raise my baby with Ryan and I hope this is all finally over and I'm free at last.

It was noon before I got back home. I just couldn't leave without telling my grandparents everything that's happened to me and why I couldn't come home. I didn't want Ryan to hear it all and quite honestly, I was avoiding him a bit after everything last night. He had a hard time looking at me after everyone left and when he did it wasn't the same as it was. I knew that would happen. I just hoped it wouldn't change things between us, but I think it did. I felt the difference immediately afterwards and I regretted every word I said. I know when people know the truth they no longer want me.

I was drenched and freezing cold as I walked into the house and I saw Ryan standing in the kitchen, coat on and ready to walk out the door. His eyes were hard and hurt when they met mine. "Where the fuck have you been? I've been worried sick!"

The anger in his words made me step back. He's really mad. I guess I held him up from walking out. "I went to Gramps grave. I left you a note, you didn't have to wait, I'm sorry I held you up."