Chapter 25

Thank you for reading, please remember to vote, comment and let me hear from you

Readers warning:
This is an extremely sappy sentimental chapter. Please be sure you have tissues handy. I cried through every word writing it. Enjoy

Charlie

I don't think anyone has put a wedding together as fast as we did. Ryan understood that I wanted to be married before the baby comes, we had plenty of time for that. People get married all the time while pregnant but not like us. There was such a cloud looming over us in the shape of my father and what he could, do not just to me, but to this baby if he were to find out, we had to move fast. Pops spread the word to the ranch hands and their families about the news of the wedding and baby. I don't think I realized the family I have inherited here until now.

I've spent the last few days in tears not because I was upset, but because these people touched my heart so deeply by their love and generosity they are showing me. Yes, we are their bosses and own the ranch but I never dreamed what these people were willing to do for us. I'm sure Ryan and his long history with the ranch had much to do with it, more so than me, but it still touched me. Pops in general touched me the most when he showed up the day after we told him with Ryan's mother's wedding dress.

"Pops, what are you doing here so early this morning? Aren't you supposed to be helping out with getting the cattle ready to sell off while Ryan and Baxter work in town?" I asked as my future father in law walked into my kitchen with a huge box. I knew Ryan hadn't left yet but he would be shortly. I assumed he was in the far pasture getting it ready and telling his hands what to do.

Pops set the box on the table and walked over to fix himself a cup of coffee. Wiping his face I saw the tears in his eyes and he smiled softly at me as he nodded. "I know sweetheart and I'm heading there, but Natalie and I spoke last night and we thought you should have this."

He motioned to the box. Pops eyes were sad and seemed far off as I eyed him closely. "And what is this?" I asked knowing it had to be something important to him. Pops wasn't an emotional man to see him this way worried me.

He nodded and walked over opening the huge box and pulling out a smaller white one, but not smaller by much. "This belonged to the kids mama. I'd be honored if you'd take it as yours now."

I set my own cup down and moved to his side. Taking the box from him, I carefully opened it to find a beautiful lace wedding dress. My breath caught and I could feel my tears begin to well up, sticking in my throat so I couldn't speak. It was simple but stunning. Soft white lace with ¾ sleeves, and a drop waist. It was tea length and the full skirt swished as I held it up. It was perfect and everything I wanted for my own wedding dress. I knew I was going to have a hard time talking soon.

"Pops, I don't know what to say. It's beautiful, but what about Natalie? Doesn't she want to wear this?" I ask knowing this should be passed to his own daughter not me.

"Sweetheart, she wants you to wear it. Natalie has something else in mind for her own if Baxter ever gets around to pulling his head out of his ass and proposing to her." Pops tells me as he wipes his own tears away. "I know Ryan's mama would love for you to wear it."

I couldn't find the words to thank him. I know I have nothing of my own mothers to wear, so to have this means so much. I nod and take a deep breath to calm my own emotions. "Well, I should try it on!"

Pops nods and sits down. This is very emotional for him too. I know Ryan's mother passed away and she was Pops heart. Losing her was so hard for him and having Ryan and Natalie here with him is the only thing that got him through it. I carefully take the dress to my bedroom and pulling off my jeans and blouse I slip into the soft lace. I worked the tiny pearl button up my back as far as I could reach until I heard my door open. Turning my head to see who it was, I saw the door open and there stood Ryan staring at me.