Deserved Better (One-Shot, 4594 words)

(Marinette and Adrien are in their early 20s and know each others identities)

"Chat, no!" Ladybug screams as he barrels towards Scorpiko, an entomologist who had gained an exoskeleton and a stinging tail when his research funding didn't get approved. Both Ladybug and Chat were running low on energy, which didn't happen often now that they had their adult powers, but now they were getting a bit desperate, trying to get the akumatized letter from Scorpiko's lab coat pocket.

Chat leaps over and under the villain, dodging his whipping stinger. Scorpiko starts spinning in circles trying to keep an eye on Chat, spraying him with ink-blue venom from his tail, as Ladybug looks for an opening.

Scorpiko swings his tail more wildly, Chat smirks, "Can't catch a cat?" he taunts, deftly and narrowly avoiding danger.

He growls with frustration, suddenly pinning Chat to the ground with his tail. Chat grasps desperately at stinger embedded in his chest, gasping as Scorpiko stares him down triumphantly.

Ladybug, bites her tongue, holding back the urge to call out to him, which would give away her position. Once the split second of shock passes through her, she darts for the villain, catching him off guard, knocking him over, and grabbing the akumatized letter, tearing it to shreds.

She swiftly catches the akuma and purifies it, exclaiming "Miraculous Ladybug!".

Scorpiko transforms back into a civilian, falling back from Chat who is still clutching his chest. Ladybug runs to him, falling onto her knees. Her relieved face vanishing as she still sees pain on his, "Wha-what's happening? Chat?"

"S-something's wrong," he stammers. A small crowd that had been watching the fight comes in closer, worried murmurs start to spread between them.

She examines him, seeing no visible wound left on his chest, but watches helplessly as Chat still writhes. "Chat, I don't understand!"

"T-the venom, it's too much, it's too late," Chat hisses in pain, reaching out for her.

She shakes her head, "No, no, come on," she attempts to scoop him up in her arms, but this causes him to scream out in agony. She puts him back on the ground, her hands shaking. She calls out to the bystanders, "Call for help! Please!" Everyone around them frantically starts dialing their phones.

His hand grabs hers and pulls her close to him, forcing out a whisper, "Mari, take my Miraculous, get it safe,"

Ladybug's breaths get short, "W-why, why are, don't talk like that, you'll be fine," she smooths his hair back, "Adrien, please," she mouths.

He shakes his head slowly, tired, "I love you, I love...you," he exhales, going still.

Before Ladybug has time to react, a dull green shine engulfs him, and he turns back into Adrien.

A wave of gasps and screams ripple throughout the crowd.

Ladybug instinctually throws herself over him, a feeble attempt to hide his identity from the world, even in the end.

The wail of the approaching ambulance drowns out the wails some of the Parisians had started to express. The news that something terrible had happened to Chat Noir, who was also revealed to be Adrien Agreste, had spread wild across the city; those nearby to the scene rush over to see it unfold with their own eyes.

Paramedics part the crowd, entering the ring that has formed around Ladybug still clutching onto Chat. One paramedic clears their throat as they approach her, "Uh, Miss, er, Ladybug?"

She doesn't move; waiting, hoping to feel Chat take a breath.

"Ladybug, we've got it from here." The paramedic comes closer, laying a gentle hand on her shoulder.