XXXIX. Leo tried to what?

Chapter 39

I hid behind the marbled stairs as I saw Leo enter the living room with the help of Jacob who has his arm around Leo's shoulders as a support.

Even from afar, I could tell Leo's in a bad shape. His clothes are all torn apart and bloody. His jet black hair looked as if it was run by chickens. He has a black eye on his blind eye and a massive bruise on his left cheek. Overall, it's all a disaster, I swear.

Judy, his cousin seemed to think so as well since up here, I saw her hurriedly run towards Leo and touch his cheek, making him wince.

"What happened to you?" hollered Judy as she covered her nose for a second, rolling her eyes heavenwards from annoyance.

"Have you been drinking all day?" added Judy but Leo made no reply. Instead, Jacob helped him sit on the couch.

Seeing him like this brings pain to me. I don't want him to be like this. I just can't.

Leo then rolled his head on the couch, not sitting properly, his arms on the head of the couch. It was as if he was so done with his life.

"What happened to him?" asked Judy to her husband who sat beside her since she knew Leo would not answer her.

However, it was Leo who made the first response in such an annoyed and lazy tone. "Isn't it obvious? I sipped a few pints and got into a lousy fight," after that, he released a sarcastic chuckle.

Judy raised her brow. "You think this is funny?" and with that, Leo went quiet, closing his eyes. Pretending to be asleep, perhaps or just simply sleeping since he looks so tired and beat up.

"The owner of the pub told me Leo got there before sunrise, ordered and drank a bunch of pints and refused to pay, guessing your cousin here brought no money with him and got into a fight with the customers," uttered Jacob, letting out a soft sigh after that.

"Well, did you pay the pints this moron ordered?" replied Judy, her brow raising.

"Of course, I did, Judy. Let's just say, Leo shattered dozens of glasses there and broke a handful of chairs there," uttered Jacob as he turned to look at the sleeping Leo in front of them.

"What made things worse was your good cousin here managed to break the bones of, let's say, seven people back there and yes, I paid them and their hospital fees already. I also paid them to not tell anyone about what Leo did to them as well,"

"Good Lord!" exclaimed Judy as she slowly shook her head.

"Well, what can you say, love has that kind of effect on your cousin. I guess it runs in the family," replied Jacob, shaking his head in disbelief and releasing a short laugh which made Judy annoyed.

"Excuse me, mister but never did I act like this just for a moron like you," Judy responded, her voice rising.

And so, Jacob did not reply and just gave her a suspicious smile and shrugged. "It was you who acted like this before, Jacob. Remember that time when you beat our house gardener for thinking he was my suitor?" Judy angrily replied.

"You cannot blame me. Everyone in town knows we're engaged and there he was, following you and impressing you with his ugly plants," roared Jacob back.

"He was just being kind enough to show them to me, Jacob. Besides, you're just jealous that every plant you touch dies. Admit it, you want a green thumb so bad," said Judy as she chuckled at her last sentence but Jacob did not laugh.

"I did not," exclaimed Jacob, his voice rising. I can tell he is annoyed but not angry.

"Then what made you burn all his plants, Jacob?" asked Judy which made Jacob's brows meet. His lips into a thin line.