IX. do you want me to go down there?

Chapter 9

I almost tripped myself on my way to the dining room because I was in such a hurry.

Every single employee here is as busy as a bee.

My arms are already aching from carrying too much luscious dishes because Martha told me guests will be visiting the Bennet household.

I wonder who they might be.

It's been three days since I last saw Miss Dolores. I tried speaking to her but every time I tried to, she insisted that she was tired or perhaps not in the mood to talk. I have a strong feeling that she's ignoring me.

Could it be because I am not acting like a proper Victorian lady that she kept on insisting I be. And that she grew tired of giving me a hundred lectures about it. Or perhaps because she's hiding something from me.

Or she's simply truly tired. And that I am just a drama queen.

"Don't forget to fetch the chinas with golden linings, sweetie." Martha ordered me as soon as I gently placed the dozens of plates on the side of the table.

I quickly gave her a nod, then proceeded to the kitchen where Chef Florentino's angry voice could be heard around the room.

After delivering the china, which by the way, really are hard to find, Martha once again ordered me to head upstairs to clean the guest room in which obviously, where the guest would be staying.

Since I was informed that two guests will be coming, I immediately cleaned the two guest rooms. One was much bigger than the other, though the bigger one is much dimmer.

It was almost sunset when the guests arrived. One old man wearing a single glass in an 'O' shaped just right in his eye and a brown tuxedo appeared out of nowhere and scanned the room before introducing the guests.

Tell you what, I didn't pay any attention to what he was saying because my attention is glued to the guests. What are they like? Would they be mean to the point they'll start abusing me like the ones I watch in the movies?

However, judging from their appearance, they seriously look harmless. One was a beautiful and blonde female victorian lady, probably around three years older than me. She kept fanning her face with a yellow lacy fan, almost hiding her face while her other hand was around a man who had a smile plastered on his handsome face. He's wearing the usual wealthy Victorian men's fashion.

Tell you what, my jaw seriously dropped as soon as my eyes landed on the female guest's magnificent yellow gown and her matching huge yellow hat with thousands of beads on it.

Oh, how perfectly embroidered the gown is. The patterns are flawless. Jealousy somehow overwhelmed me for a while, for I am getting tired wearing this boring maid's uniform of mine.

For once, I want to wear that kind of gown. In which you'll think you're living in a fairy-tale, just a few minutes away from meeting your charming prince.

The man meanwhile is probably around his mid-twenties and is wearing a traveling hat which he quickly removed as he scanned around the room and began nodding. I guess being respective is next to godliness.

My thoughts were cut off when the female guest suddenly ran towards me and the next thing I know, her arms are around me.

What?

"I heard what happened to you, Clementine. What were you thinking, you crazy child?" she uttered as soon as her arms were unwrapped around me. Her brows meet, waiting for my response.

"You can talk to her later, Judy my dear. For now, let us rest." her companion had said, smiling.

"Jacob, hunny, you know the only reason why I came here aside from my cousin is Clementine." she replied as she snaked her hands to my arms. Her grip loosened.