XIX. misconception

Chapter 19

I just can't stop myself from smiling ear to ear because I just received my first ever salary.

To be honest, I thought I won't be receiving any salary anymore since I was the one who broke the "worth more than your life" vase.

But heck, I was totally pumped up and shocked when Martha told me to approach Miss Dolores for my salary.

Despite our little quarrel, Miss Dolores still managed to forget it and smiled at me genuinely and said, "Spend it wisely, hunny," which I returned with a broad smile.

Right after I got my salary, I asked for Mister Douglas Bennett's permission if I can go to the town's market today. Mister Douglas then gave me a wide smile and said, "Clementine, my child, no need for you to ask permission, you can go to the town's market whenever you want,"

"Now, off you go and have fun," he added, looking up from his book.

Instantly, I went towards Judy's room to ask her to come with me to buy something in the market but was sad to ascertain that Judy and her husband, Jacob, went for a morning walk.

Well, I hope they're not snugging because it seems like all they do all day is to snug.

Shrugging, I went to the maids' chamber, changed my maid uniform to black since Victorian pollution is just too much. To cover my nose with, I pulled the handkerchief Augustus gave me from the cabinet.

Before leaving the manor, of course, I approached Martha in the garden, "Martha, I'll just go to the town's market to spend my cha-ching," I uttered, followed by a loud laugh.

Martha then shook her head, laughing. "Well, off you go then, my dear. Be careful, the town's market is full of pickpockets,"

I replied to her with a broad smile then bid her a goodbye kiss on the cheek.

As soon as I reached the town's market, I was greeted by overwhelming pollution. Whew.

For that, I cannot help myself from coughing and quickly covering my nose and my mouth with the handkerchief Augustus gave me.

Well, I just hope this green handkerchief won't turn black.

I slowly walked around the town's market, careful with my steps because the ground was somehow full of mud and candy wrappers.

The town market as usual is full of vendors who kept approaching me. Offering me a bunch of fake jewelries, different colors of handkerchief, sewing kits and many more.

That made me realize that I don't have any idea what I'll be buying with my money.

Somehow, that made me want to laugh hard for I only have one pound with me since it's my whole salary and here I am, acting as if I can buy anything in the world.

Well, you must be wondering, "Are you out of your mind, Clementine? You only have one pound in your pocket yet you have the guts to go to the town's market to buy something? Good luck with that, my so-called-Victorian lady,"

Relax, I heard a pound was considered quite a large fortune back then. That's what I remember from my classes with Miss Dolores back then. Oh, how I wish I listened to her more intently.

I once again let my eyes wander around the town's market, looking for something to buy and that's when I saw a small boutique in the corner.

Mesmerized by the beautiful ballgowns and parasols displayed in the front, I hurriedly went inside the boutique even though I know I can't afford anything worth like these.

As soon as I stepped inside, I couldn't help myself from gasping for air. Indeed, the ballgowns are truly beautiful. You can see every kind of gowns here, every color as well.