XXVI. Spilling the tea

Chapter 26

"Sir, I haven't seen you these past few days, what fills your days, may I ask?", pouring Augustus a cup of tea as I forced myself not to cringe when I almost spilled it.

Augustus was sitting beside me, his legs crossed and so were his hands as he studied me.

Where are we, you may ask? We are at the gazebo in the middle of the day, the heat from the sun making me sweat.

I just came back from the market to buy some bread since according to Chef Florentino, I am not doing much enough which to be honest, I do agree.

Anyways, right after I entered the Bennett manor, it was Augustus who first spotted me and invited me into a brief tea time.

I was about to refuse since I do have lots of things to do regarding me as a maid but then, I remembered that this is now the perfect opportunity for me to catch some secrets about Mister Douglas.

Hurriedly, I nodded at Augustus and right after I delivered the bread to Chef Florentino, I went straight to the gazebo to talk to Augustus who was already enjoying his tea at that time.

However, obviously, Chef Florentino was furious when he learned I'll be outside his kitchen but as soon as I mentioned that Augustus asked me to have tea with him. All Chef Florentino could do was raise his brow and nod.

I know what I did was kinda rude but hey, I am desperate. I badly need information about Mister Douglas since his arrival from his trip will happen soon.

Just as I was to leave his safe haven but hell for me, he ordered me to chop some vegetables while I had tea with Augustus. How fun.

And now, here I am, sitting beside the very dashing Augustus in the huge wooden gazebo with a very beautiful view of Bennett's gigantic mansion as I cut a carrot...

I alternate between cutting vegetables, pouring Augustus a tea, and talking with him.

"So, as I was asking, what made you busy these past few days?" I looked up from the cutting board for a second when I asked him the question.

Augustus shrugged, set down his tea and answered, "our business is requiring me most of my time, that's why. Plus, Father will be here soon, I wouldn't want to disappoint him, do we?"

"About your business, what was it again?", "Oh, have you gone on a business trip with your father or not yet?",and "Did you already undergo any training regarding your father's business?" are the questions that came out from my mouth.

I just hope I don't sound too suspicious and desperate.

"Now, you seemed a bit fascinated with these, my dear mermaid. May I ask, are you very much eager to get my answer?"

Uhm, what is he up to?

"Not really," I replied, doing my very best to sound bored but deep inside? I want to shake his shoulders and scream in his ears, saying 'yes' so many times.

Augustus laughed at my response. "Bad acting, I must say,"

I cringe at his reply. I then forced myself to look really, really busy at chopping the carrots despite the fact I am not really good at cutting but hey, at least I don't cut myself anymore like it always used to before.

"But really, Miss Wright, I'll answer any question you want in exchange for like, let's say, a wish from me? Uhm, what do you think?"

That caught my attention, making me stop at my work. I stared at him, his beautiful blond hair blond perfectly, his well-ironed clothes and newly-shined shoes look majestic to him. Augustus then raised his brow at me and gave me a devilish smirk.