II. Dream boy

Chapter 2

I can't focus on the fantasy novel I am reading right now because of what happened last night. I mean, what are they really talking about?

I guess both grandpa and Ms. Dolores is angry at me for the nth time because I eavesdropped on them last night. Thank God I ran really, really fast last night enough for me to escape their roaring lectures again on what's right and wrong. That I should behave like a Victorian woman or whatever.

They really are obsessed with this Victorian period that I can see no special about.

I let my eyes wander around my room, my walls are colored-pink and so are all of my things. I guess that can be concluded that I love blue. Kidding, of course, anyone can tell I love pink.

There are about a dozen bookshelves in my room which I love admiring every single day. Seriously.

I heard a knock on the door once again and I just lazily said, "Come in." which the maid quickly did.

I just stared at the maid who I guess is around thirty-seven or so as she began cleaning my room. Starting to the floor then to my messy cabinet. Oops.

I can see how she slowly shook her head when she began cleaning my cabinet. As if a blizzard had hit my cabinet.

Suddenly, I felt really-really bad and an irresponsible individual.

"You can go now," I blurted out, which made the maid...smiled? Huh?

"I can manage, ma'am Clementine." she insisted, still, her smile sure was huge.

"Go take a break or whatever you guys like doing...I can clean my own room." I replied and hoped she'll stop insisting.

She shrugged and slowly rose from her seat, "Thank you, ma'am Clementine."

I then rolled my eyes heavenwards, "haven't I told you guys to please stop calling me 'ma'am', Clementine alone will do."

To my surprise, she laughed, "if you insist, my dear Clementine." and with that, off she goes.

But before she finally left my room, I saw how she looked at me for a moment and shook her head while smiling.

I let out a soft sigh and closed my eyes. In just a few weeks, I'll be turning 18. I was happy for a second but then I remembered I have no friends to invite. I mean, who will come to my party? Well, except for my grandfather's business partners who kept bragging about themselves and their annoying and narcissistic daughters and sons.

And then what, I'll be forced to talk to their daughters and sons who kept on bragging to me about their school experiences. As if I care! Well, to be honest, I do care. That is why I don't want to talk to them because I'm afraid envy will swallow me once again.

I then remembered the image of a young guy who tried to kiss me while we were at his grandfather's party, which was my grandpa's business partner. I remember how hard I punched the annoying and stupid face of his and how I kicked him where it hurts the most and repeatedly sweared in Mandarin.

I remember how the people around us were shocked because of what I did which made me more annoyed because how are they not angry at the guy who tried kissing a girl without her consent? Grandpa immediately cuts his connection to that family right after that happened. But that doesn't mean I escaped Grandpa's long lectures on how a woman should act in times like those.

I then continued reading my book about a maiden who slept for one week straight and after she woke up, she discovered that she has psychic power. I cringed when I heard the irritating noise of the vacuum. I slowly put down my book and decided to see where that noise came from.