XXXIII. wedding preparation

Chapter 33

The day began with Chef Florence asking both Augustus and me about the whole wedding thing that would probably take place for about two weeks from now.

Chef Florence was, like any other staff in the manor, not happy with the surprising news of their employer's son marrying a mermaid like me.

I was just silently listening to Augustus and Chef Florence's banters about how the wedding should be. They kept fighting about how the cake should look and what the color of the seat covers should the maids make. Dear Lord...

Believe me, I am surprised Chef Florence had the nerve to contradict Augustus' decisions. Well, he must've thought Mister Douglas would not be happy if the wedding turned upside down since he is in charge.

"Look here, sir, it would be better if it's a three layer cake, chocolate flavor." Chef Florence suggested, pointing his forefinger to an illustration he just drew in a piece of paper.

Augustus then snatched the pen from the corner of the table and added two layers on top of the cake. "This is a masterpiece," he insisted, nodding.

Chef Florence just stared at the cake, frowning and was about to get the pen from his employer's hands when Augustus began to nibble it. "I could pass as a pastry chef,"

That remark was followed by an exaggerated eye roll from Chef Florence, surrendering.

Hours went on and the whole time, I was just sitting here, listening to them deciding every single detail about the wedding. Sometimes, I caught myself almost falling asleep but every now and then, Augustus would slither his hand around my waist and ask me about my opinion.

When I tried contradicting his decision, he pretended not to hear a single thing from me, kissed me on the cheek and chuckled.

I am not totally into his decisions since all his likes are far too expensive. Imagine buying a new set of china that will only be used for a day that is worth more than the whole household's annual salary.

And what? Who would use them? Those crazy aristocrats from the Halloween party? No way.

Speaking of Halloween Party. What happened that night was totally forgotten.

The way this psycho choked me and his scary kisses are now behind me. I just pretend nothing happened and it seems like Augustus is doing that as well.

I need to focus on murdering his father, I have no time for torturing this fella. I need to find out more about Mister Douglas' connection to the death of Leo's parents. We need Leo to take back what's his.

Now, it's been a week since the Halloween party and Leo still hasn't met up with me, did not even bother writing me a single letter.

Of course, I am frustrated but my worriedness is far higher. What if something happened to him? What if he did not like my kiss? What if...

I was brought back to what was happening around me when I felt Augustus slip his hands around me again. I snapped towards him, raising my brow.

"I said, do you have any guests you would like to add?" He exclaimed loudly, annoyed but not saying anything about me raising my brow.

Chef Florence then gave me the list they just came up with, his stare gloomy.

As soon as my fingertips touched the rough paper, I began to search for the name that I am always thinking of.

And there, I saw it. It was underlined twice. "Why is Mr. Finley's name underlined?"

"He is my bestman," answered Augustus, staring at me with a pissed face. His brows met and were pouting in a scary way.