XXXI. a day in heaven

Chapter 31

At exactly 8 o'clock in the morning, I left the manor. I am wearing the simplest and appropriate gown I could find in my dresser since all my old gowns were thrown as commanded by Mister Douglas.

Nevertheless, it still looked fancy due to the flower embroidery. Plus, the silky pink ribbon tied around my waist made the gown so beautiful.

Of course, I was furious the second I realized my old clothes were no longer here but then, I realized now's not the time to mourn for mere gowns. I need to keep myself together or else my clothes are not the only one coming out of my life.

The gown I am wearing right now is not exactly what you'll call ideal to wear when traveling. In fact, it is far too fancy-looking to the point I look like I am attending a ball or a tea party. Nevertheless, I have no time to fuss over clothes.

A gardener who was probably around Martha's age saw me as I was leaving the manor.

"Where are you going, miss?" He asked, removing his gardening gloves and shoving it to his dirty trousers.

I gave him a nervous smile, "Oh, just going to purchase a new pair of shoes downtown. Do tell Mister Augustus I'll be back before lunch,"

The old man then nods at me, buying my lie. He even offered to hail me a carriage but I declined, saying I could manage.

As soon as I got myself a carriage, the whole time, I was nervous since I have so many what-ifs. What if Leo is busy at work? What if what I've learned from last night's discovery were all useless and stupid? What if...

Sighing, I look up to the sky and realize it was gloomy. Completely sure it'll rain later and too bad, I forgot to bring an umbrella of my own.

By the time we arrived at the gates of the barracks, I paid the footman for the kind service and thanked him.

As my shoes stepped on the cold ground, I was greeted by two young soldiers.

They are dressed in the usual British military uniform, their black shiny shoes polished well and their hair combed smoothly.

"Good morning, officer," I greeted both men as I played with the letter I wrote last night for Leo behind my back. And the files I found last night.

They both looked at me from head to toe, one even dared to smirk. "What may we do for you, miss?"

The tall muscular blonde one extended his hand, "I am Terrence and you are?"

I quickly shook his hand and removed it as well. "looking for Officer Leo Finley,"

Both soldiers then raised their brows and exchanged peculiar looks with one another. "What's the agenda, miss?"

"I just need to talk to him, please," I softly stated, giving him a smile.

Terrence then looked at the soldier beside him, nodded at him and in just one snap, the other soldier ran towards the barracks and disappeared.

Well, I guess he called Leo. Let's hope.

While waiting, I had my eyes to the ground and let me tell you this, there was this awkward silence between me and this soldier. I can feel him staring at me.

If only I were in modern times then I would have used my phone and pretended to do something or whatever.

This guy then began bombarding me with endless questions. What's my name, age, job, where I came from, and this and that. I swear, he is a walking slam book. I wouldn't be confused if he asked me what's my motto in life or celebrity crush. The whole time, I kept looking at the gates, hoping Leo would appear and save me from this misery.