XXVII. "you're hot!"

A day has passed since Leo left the manor to attend his job in the army. For some reason, I cannot help myself from getting nervous if it'll take years before he'll come back. I mean, I don't know anything about being a soldier in the Victorian era.

I still have so many things to tell him, things I think I can't bring myself to utter. Also, I know this may sound shallow but he didn't even say goodbye to me.

A single knock on my door and a farewell wouldn't hurt his ego, right?

When I passed by Judy in the garden, she narrated to me how her dear cousin stormed out of the manor furious. His brows meet once again.

"However, he still managed to give me respect, kissing me on the cheek before he left for the army," Judy uttered, shrugging.

Judy has her legs crossed, wearing a mesmerizing gown once again but this time, she is not wearing her usual yellow gown. This time, it's in the color of black. With rose patches on top. However, if you ask me, it's a bit revealing.

"Perhaps, you know why?" asked Judy, staring at the teacup in her hand as she tapped her long fingernails at it, creating a soothing sound.

Shrugging, I answered, "I think it has something to do with what happened the day before,"

Judy raised her brow, "Care to tell what occurred, my dear?"

I bit both my lips and Judy must've felt she's not going to receive any answer because she let out a loud chuckle.

"Oh, don't give me that look, Clementine. I know what's going on between you and my dear awkward cousin," then muffled her chuckle by covering her mouth with her gloved hand.

I gave her a confused look, "I don't know what you're talking about,"

"Says the lady who knows why my dear cousin is angry. Take note, I am his cousin and I don't even have a clue what's going on with that child,"

I was about to open my mouth but stopped midway simply for the reason I don't know what to reply. Less talk, less mistakes.

Judy then laughed at my reaction, wink at me, "don't worry, your secret is safe with me,"

I don't even have a clue what secret she is talking about. I mean, sure, I do know why Leo is angry but does that even mean anything?

After that awkward conversation, I returned to the kitchen but around lunch, Chef Florentino told me to go upstairs to Mister Douglas' office.

Tell you, Chef Florentino is not happy about me, leaving my assigned job.

Confused, I followed Chef Florentino's order, looking at my old maid gown first and brushing off any invisible specks of dust.

But as I was on my way to the office, Chef Florentino stopped me, grabbing my arm.

"I almost forgot, Mister Douglas specifically asked that you should dress something you know, proper," Chef Florentino uttered, looking at me from head to toe.

I looked at the maid 's uniform and raised a brow at him, "Isn't this proper?"

As soon as I uttered that, he released a loud laugh, "If you're going to the slums then yes. Oh, poor child, go fetch some dress or whatever. Just don't wear that one," he replied and before I had the chance to say more, he walked off.

I let out a soft sigh and was about to go straight to my bedroom to change when I remembered I have nothing to borrow. Unless sleeping wear is considered proper.

Swallowing my pride, I headed straight to Judy and asked if I could borrow a simple gown for the day in which she happily agreed with.

She was about to help me change but she has to go to town to meet her husband.