XXXIII.V. what happened to Leo?

Chapter 33.5

Leo stood tall, a few blocks away from Bennett's manor. The scorching heat made him very uncomfortable with his black clothing but decided not to pay further attention to it.

Clutching his brown briefcase hard with his right hand, he tapped his shoe as he patiently waited for a carriage to pass by.

He cannot help himself from smiling all alone like an idiot, reminiscing the kiss he and Clementine shared a while ago as he forced himself not to think about the Bennett family in order to avoid having a bad day.

Leo let out a loud yawn, counting the days he hadn't slept properly due to investigating the death of his parents.

However, in his peripheral vision, there he saw three men, all three dressed in all black.

At that very sight, Leo knew something was wrong. He hurriedly yet smoothly fished his small knife from his pocket which he never forgets to bring in case of emergencies like this.

Leo is not blind not to notice that the three men are only few paces away from him and they are, it seems like, are pretending to wait for a carriage to pass by as well.

'Such bad acting skills, fella,' Leo thought, tsk-ing in his head.

Still, he pretends not to notice them but of course, he is observing them through his peripheral vision, clutching his briefcase hard and his pocketknife.

That was when one of the men attacked him. Leo quickly hit him with such force with his briefcase, silently praying it won't break down into pieces since he got this from his late father.

Due to that, the man fell down against the ground, his head bloody, wincing.

The other two then attacked him all at once. This time, Leo hit the other with his briefcase once again that made such a loud noise when it touched the man's head. The other, he had no choice but to be stabbed in the foot.

He only went for the foot to avoid severe injuries, nothing deadly.

Leo looked at the three of them laying in the ground, wincing and was about to walk away and just walk all the way to the barracks when he felt someone gripping his shoulders hard which made him unable to move much.

And there he saw the other man in front of him with a knife in his hand, very eager to stab him hard whatever God knows where.

Before the man had the chance to stab him, he quickly rewarded the man with a hard kick in the face which made him fall on the ground for the second time around.

The man behind him, locking him by the shoulders, let go of him and as quickly as that, he faced the intruder and stabbed him in the arm. Nothing deadly once again.

But after stabbing him in the arm, Leo did not notice that the man was holding a pocketknife of his own as well and with that, the man stabbed Leo in the face.

Leo closed his eyes and tried to get away from the man as quickly as he could but too late. Luckily, the man was too weak to stab properly and so, he just dragged the knife down Leo's face.

The one who first attacked Leo stood tall in front of him once again, with a smug look on his face as he played with the knife in his hand.

Leo knew this man, like the two are all trying to murder him. Right here, right now.

Due to the ache of his eye and face which are bleeding, he tried standing up. The man was about to stab him in the chest when Leo turned to the left which made the knife hit his arm instead.

Despite the massive pain, Leo retrieved the man's knife from his arm and threw it to him, hitting him in the stomach.

And with that, Leo forced himself to grab his belongings and walk away from them.

Leo lost track of time on how long he was walking, all he remembered was his bloody clothes, the wound in his arm and face. The possibility of being blind due to the man stabbing him in the eyes.

Leo already had so many soldiers back at the war who experienced this as well. He is not such an optimist to hope everything would be fine.

Last time he remembered was him, still walking and walking and with that, everything turned black.

One thing that was on his mind was his hatred towards the Bennett family whom his late family treated fairly and his ever growing love towards Clementine.