XXII. You want me to buy what?

chapter 22

''I need it in an hour,'' Chef Florence reminded me as I quickly removed my rubber gloves perfect for washing and gave Chef Florence a nod.

Chef Florence assigned me to head to the Town's Market to buy a set of butcher knives, saying all the old ones are not working properly anymore. Besides, according to him which I have to be honest, I kinda agree, I am not working much.

That's okay, I don't mind going to the Town's Market today. I've been inside the Bennett manor for so long, I kinda miss the Victorian pollution.

Right after Chef Florence rolled his eyes at me and gave me the money, I hurriedly left the kitchen, the noise of chopping and CHef Florence's unending commands and complaints can still be heard.

I was kinda hesitating whether I should go change as long as it's not my maid uniform but since I only have an hour to buy the butcher knives, I decided to not pay attention to my appearance.

As if someone rich is gonna suffer a love-at-first-sight syndrome to me in the Town's Market and ask me to marry him and we'll love each other for the next five years until his business begins to fall apart and sells me to a pleasure house for him to earn some cash. No thanks.

I was about to finally leave the manor when I saw Judy sitting casually in the garden, her legs crossed as she sipped tea, wearing a beautiful yellow gown, waving at me with a broad smile on her face. Oh, how I love her fashion sense.

Beside her is her cousin. The awkward guy, the one and only. One thing I noticed about him today is that he is not wearing his usual top hat. Since it's windy, his dark hair cannot help itself to dance along the wind.

Slowly, I began to walk towards them, smiling. As soon as I was in front of them, Leo immediately rose from his seat and slightly dipped his head, greeting me. I mimic his action which made the corner of his lips twitch up and for his eyes to travel around the garden.

''Good morning, Mister Finley and Missis Bennett,'' I greeted, my hands behind me.

''Good morning, Clementine. Would you want to join us for tea?'' Judy replied, pointing her lips towards the teacups in front of us.

''Thank you but I have to pass, tea is really just not my cup of tea,'' I jokingly uttered.

Judy didn't seem to notice the pun because she just raised her brow while her awkward cousin, Leo let out a fake cough and mouthed 'Bad pun' to me.

I seriously want to roll my eyes at him but I don't want Judy to get the wrong idea.

''Now, my child, where are you going?'' Judy asked, slowly putting down the teacup.

Giving her a shrug, I answered, ''Oh, I'm off to the Town's Market to buy a set of butcher knives,''

''All by yourself?'' exclaimed Judy, her brow raising.

All I can ever reply is a quick nod and a smile. Judy's sudden smirk and her short glance towards Leo didn't escape my attention.

''My lazy cousin right here can accompany you,''

by that, my eyes went wide. ''No need for that, Judy. I can handle myself,'' I insisted.

''Don't wait for me to use my authority, dear,'' Judy sweetly said, winking which earned her a groan from me to which she replied with a soft chuckle.

Judy then faced Leo, raised her brow and exclaimed, ''Go fix yourself,''

Leo then consciously look at himself, ''Why, what's wrong with this?'' his tone a hint of confusion.