XII. please stop staring...

Chapter 12

"What are you guys doing here?" Augustus asked, his arms crossed. Handsome as ever.

Augustus is eyeing Leo's hand that is wrapped around my wrist. His brow immediately rose. I swear I saw a hint of confusion in his face.

I immediately shook my wrist away from Leo and stammered, "N-none of your business, you lousy cockroach,"

Oops, why did I just say that?

"We decided to get some fresh air," Leo answered, his arms crossed. The soldier's side of him showing.

"C'mon, Leo, don't sell me a dog," replied his friend who is now smirking.

Don't sell me a dog? What does he mean by that? To tell you the truth, I am no good when it comes to Victorian idioms or slangs.

"My dear friend, I am not lying to you," exclaimed Leo but Augustus continued to stare deadly at him.

Oh, so the phrase "Don't sell me a dog," means "Don't lie to me," how odd...

Augustus just raised his brow, "I heard the hostess isn't really fond of your absence, Miss Wright," he said as he now diverted his eyes towards Bennett's housemaid.

I found myself really glad he decided not to dig deeper into my choice of words.

"I just can't stand being with that conceited guy," I replied, rolling my eyes heavenwards which earned me a soft chuckle from my employer.

"You really are something, Miss Wright," Augustus stated, shaking his head. His hands inside his pockets.

"I hope that's a compliment, Mr. Bennett," I said, shrugging.

Found myself just wanting to go head straight to the maid's chamber and sleep. That's what I hate about myself, always tired in terms of social gatherings.

"We better head inside, I'm sure my cousin's wife wouldn't like the idea of you being alone with two bachelors," Augustus stated as he extended his hand to me, ready to escort me inside Raymond Guevarra's manor.

"Unless one of the bachelors is no other than Raymond Guevarra," I jokingly replied and to be honest, I am expecting them to kinda, you know, laugh but no, their face is unreadable.

It's either they didn't get the joke or totally didn't like the idea of it. Nevertheless, Leo faked another cough, his hands still inside his pockets while Augustus' hand was still extended. Waiting for me to accept it.

And since they didn't laugh at my joke which totally just humiliated me, I scanned the two of them and rolled my eyes heavenwards as I marched inside all by myself.

I was a few meters away from them when suddenly, Augustus was by my side, his arm slightly brushing my right arm. Great, he sure has really long legs.

I turned to look at our back and sAw Leo silently following us. His eyes were on the ground until he looked up and met my gaze for like three seconds.

I was the one to break his gaze. I don't want him to remember me wearing my undergarments. That's why I need to stay away from him for a while or for like forever.

I diverted my attention in front of us, enjoying the beautiful glimmering lights and the constant sound of laughter and music that somehow soothes my feelings.

That makes me wonder...what year is it? The last time I checked, electricity wasn't available in the UK until the year 1882. Which only proves that Raymond's family sure is loaded because only rich people can afford electricity back then.

"This party is nothing compared to my father's," Augustus stated beside me.

Speaking of his father, I need to get tons of information about Douglas  Bennett in order for me to know why I am here in the first place. I need to know Douglas Bennett's weaknesses for me to get out of this era.