XVI. what are you doing here, Augustus?

Chapter 16

I let out a soft sigh as I continued scrubbing the humongous carpet here at the back of the house, near where the chickens stay.

Martha and Miss Dolores insisted on letting me do this job instead of doing my usual work which is washing the dishes in order for me to avoid trouble in the kitchen.

And that my friend is the reason why I am stuck here in the back with dozens of chickens and a humongous rug that I need to clean before dinner.

I mean, I've been here since morning and yet, I am still not finished with this *insert bad word here* rug.

I would seriously not hesitate on choking the people who stepped on this rug to make this so dirty.

To be honest, I've never been hungry like this my whole life, except when I am fasting.

Despite my eagerness to eat, I have no choice but to continue my job. Well, as if they would really feed me a bunch of mouthwatering dishes if ever I barge right into the kitchen and began hollering like a madman saying, "I am hungry,"

I bet they'll just scoff at me and said, "Excuse me but I am afraid you don't have any right to eat anything, even a leftover because of what you just did,"

That's why I almost sang "Hallelujah" when I caught a glimpse of food but the problem is, the mouthwatering food is in the hands of the conceited guy.

Too bad, I am gifted with a very high pride. I guess I'll die of hunger.

I'll prefer a crumbled stomach than a crumbled dignity. That my friend is the motto I live by.

"W-what are you doing here?" I asked Augustus as I momentarily stopped scrubbing the carpet.

If only this is a flying carpet then I would fly straight to Queen Victoria and beg for food. Of course, I would ask for a selfie even though as far as my memory can go, Queen Victoria is currently in mourning right now due to the death of her husband.

"I brought some food for you," replied Augustus, his tone is bland that's why I immediately looked up from the carpet to him.

It's just odd to hear him have this tone like this. I mean, his tone is either mocking or I don't know, something light.

And there he stood with bread and cheese in his right hand, his other hand inside his pocket, looking handsome as ever as he stared right into my eyes.

I cannot help myself from looking sideways for I don't think I can stare right into his blue eyes without drooling.

"Thank you, Mister Bennett but I'm afraid I am still full," I uttered before I could finally finish my statement. My stomach made an awful sound. The sound that shouldn't be heard to girls especially in the Victorian era.

I almost fainted due to humiliation, especially when I heard Augustus let out a soft chuckle. He then ran his fingers through his blond hair.

"You were saying, my little merMaid?" Augustus asked, raising his brow humorously.

Can he please just pretend nothing happened? That he heard nothing that can ruin my reputation even more. I mean, I've had enough embarrassing moments, okay?

To the point where sometimes, I cannot sleep at night because I kept replaying my Top 10 humiliating experiences.

"I said, I'm full, Mister Bennett but I thank you for your effort," insisted I as I continued scrubbing the carpet.

Harder this time to the point where the soap flew straight to Augustus' delicately-made suit.

Oh great, more embarrassing moments, please. God of embarrassment, is this all you got?