Chapter 33

A few days had passed and Akechi was out of the hospital, but they put him in the police station. Until he was proven innocent, he would remain there. I was working as hard as I could to track down this person. Futaba was doing the best she could. I sent her a file of the person and she concluded that the earpiece they were wearing was able to make their face appear to be anyone's face. Which meant it was hard to get the person's actual face. But since they were at the police station many times, they must have gotten that person's real face. I was back in the office trying to put two and two together. I had a splitting headache and I was about to get some medicine, but someone was talking outside the room. I quietly rolled the chair to the door and listened in.

"Hear anything from her?"

"I have not, but I'll let you know if I do."

"Where is Akechi?"

"In the police station."

"They better have a trial against him. How dare he kill his boss over something stupid as his girlfriend."

"Yeah."

"Well anyway, I hope we hear from her soon."

"Same here."

They walked away and I sighed. I now have some vital information. This person was a girl. I contacted Futaba and told her what I had just heard. She told me she was getting closer to figuring out this person. I searched the archives for anything and found something. It was someone who had a similar file. I knew it couldn't have been the same person, but they had a picture of the person. I took the photo and the image of the person. Even though the person had something to disguise herself, there was no hiding her actual facial features. I put the image over the other one and they were exactly the same. This had to be the same person. I looked at the file once more and found a name: Eiko Takahashi. I smiled to myself. Everything was coming together. I searched for her through the archives and other sources. She doesn't live far from here. I grabbed everything I needed and made my way over to where she was. 

When I got there, I prepared myself. I was shaking since this was the first mission I had ever taken on without Akechi there to help me. There was no one protecting me now. Instead, I'm going to protect him. I knocked on the door.

"Eiko! I know you're in there. Come out with your hands up!"

The door opened slightly and I walked inside. The door slammed behind me and someone tackled me. They pinned me to the ground and someone walked towards me.

"Well, well. I didn't expect you to figure this out so quickly. I would of at least thought you had cracked it with a couple of weeks left. But here we are, meeting only a few days after."

That voice sounded familiar. I tried to look up, but I was in a pretty bad position.

"Lock her up."

The person behind me knocked me out. I woke up what only felt like a few hours.

"Good to see you're awake."

"What the hell is going on?"

"You cracked the case."

"Who are you?"

"You don't remember me? Oh, I'm wearing that thing."

The person reached up and pulled something out of their ear. They held it and walked closer to me. It was the person who had talked to me the night Akechi got shot.

"You!"

"I'm not alone."

Eiko walked out from behind him and smiled. 

"I must say, I am very impressed. Considering you were trying to save Akechi."

"Why did you try to frame him?"

"There are several reasons. One of them is because I wanted him to know what it meant to have a downfall. He may not be as popular as he once was, but he wasn't like the Phantom Thieves. He did not have a major downfall. On the other hand, he was the reason I had my major downfall. I was working on a case with him and he said that we should do this one thing. I said we should do it another way. We got into an argument that almost cost us the case. Akechi said that he would finish it without me. He grabbed all our evidence we gathered and left. He finished the case and took the credit. He made my image look bad because he finished what should of been our case together. As for Eiko, would you like to explain dear?"

"Before I was wanted, we were together. That's right. Your boyfriend had another girlfriend. We were happy together, but when he got involved so much with the mental shutdowns and the Phantom Thieves, I saw him less and less. I would always try to ask him to hang out, but he was too busy with his work and self image. He is a selfish bastard and he will never change."

"He is changing!"

"You're wrong! He will never change. As long as he has someone there that will give him attention, he will never change."

"You don't know that! He is changing!"

"Believe me when I say this, Y/N, but Akechi does not change," the man said.

"What are you going to do?"

"We're going to keep you here until the month is over. After that, he will be tried and no one will be there to defend him. And no one would ever think it was an ex-co-worker or an ex-girlfriend. Once we get him into jail, we will complete our goal."

"What are you going to do when you complete it?"

"We're going to do nothing. Live out a regular life, isn't that right, dear?" he smiled at Eiko.

"Yes, sir," she said and kissed his cheek.

I sighed and leaned back against the wall. I had to get out of here, but I didn't know how I could. Everything was locked and there was no way of me getting out of here. I felt around in my pockets and realized I had nothing.

"Oh, are you looking for this?" he said as he pulled my phone out. "Figured we should strip you of everything you had in your pockets. We're not dumb. Have fun living here for a few more weeks."