Chapter 22

"What? Why is that?"

"Where should I start? Well, I'll start from when I disappeared. When I first disappeared, I was thinking a lot about who I was. From there, I thought about what I was becoming. I no longer saw myself as an ace detective. I saw myself as someone who wanted to belong and fit in. I realize that I can simply not fit in anywhere. But I did find a group where I can fit in. And that I was using my detective status as a way to gain popularity. When my friends had found me, I told her I wanted to turn over a new leaf. So that is exactly what I am doing. A detective should be modest and humble. Not wanting attention because of what they're doing. My friends had me realize this and that is why I do not wish to do anymore media appearances. That is to say I won't encounter the media, but I will not do any planned media appearances, such as this one. And like I said before, I want to focus on my future and who is in my future. I could care less if I am a detective in my future. All I care is about the people who is in my future."

"That is a very touching message, Akechi."

"And I'm not saying this just to say it. I am truly saying this out of the bottom of my heart. It's because someone made me realize I am loved. And I can't thank them enough."

"Well that's all the time we have today, Akechi. Thank you for making this last media appearance one to remember."

"Thank you for having me on."

"That's all the time we have today, folks. I hope you enjoyed this special interview with Goro Akechi."

"And that's a wrap!" the cameraman said.

Akechi walked off the set and over to me.

"I wouldn't have minded if you mentioned my name," I said.

"I know, but I didn't want to. I wanted to respect your privacy."

I smiled, "Thank you."

"Shall we head over to Leblanc? I would like to get some coffee."

"Coffee sounds good right now," I said as we headed over to Leblanc. 

We walked in and all of the Phantom Thieves were there. Sojiro smiled when we walked in.

"They were waiting for you," Sojiro said.

"We watched the interview together," Yusuke said.

"We're sorry to hear you won't be making any more appearances," Ann said.

"It's for the best, ain't it though?" Ryuji asked. 

"I think it is," Haru said.

"I think it is for the best. So I can focus on recovering," Akechi said.

"We're just glad to see you're ok," Akira said.

"I am surprised you would watch my interview," Akechi said, scratching the back of his neck nervously. "But I am thankful."

"After everything that happened, we all knew you meant what you said. About turning a new leaf over," Futaba said.

"Even if you did try to kill us, we don't see you in that way anymore," Akira said.

"Thank you. I-I am lost for words," Akechi smiled.

"Group hug!" I smiled and jumped on Akechi's back.

"Y/N, wait," he said.

Everyone got up and joined in on the hug. Akechi seemed a bit overwhelmed with it all.

"Guys, watch my arm," he said.

"Oh, sorry. That was my mistake," Makoto said.

They all pulled away and Akechi smiled at them.

"Thanks."

"How about a coffee? On the house," Sojiro smiled.

"Oh, there's no need for that, boss," Akechi said.

"You deserve it. As well as you, Y/N. You both deserve a cup on the house."

"Thank you, boss," I said.

We all sat down and talked to one another. They were asking Akechi questions about what he will do next.

"I honestly don't know. I might do my own detective work or go to a different investigative team. But I don't want to stop working."

"You are an ace detective after all," Morgana said.

"No need for the word 'ace' anymore. I simply just want to be referred to as a detective."

"But isn't that what you were striving for?" Ryuji asked.

"You clearly were not listening to him about that part," Makoto said.

"I was trying to, but all of you were talking."

"That is quite alright. I was striving to be the best of the best, but when I was gone for that time, I realized that it's not about that anymore. It's about bringing people to justice and uncovering crimes of rotten people. If I make a name for myself, that's alright. I just don't want to be known as the 'ace' detective anymore."

They all nodded and respected Akechi's wishes. After a while, we all had to go to catch the last train that night. I had fallen asleep while we were talking. 

"Do you need help with her?" Akira asked.

"I think I should be ok."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah," he said.

He picked me up bridal style and Akira made sure I was in a good position. He took my arms and wrapped them around Akechi's neck.

"Hope to see you soon, Akechi."

"Same here," Akechi said and he walked out of Leblanc and towards the train station. He made it in time to get the last train to Shibuya. When the train arrived at the station, he walked all the way to the house and knocked on the door. My mother opened the door and looked surprised.

"Hi, Akechi."

"Hi, Mrs. L/N. Y/N had fallen asleep and I didn't want to wake her up."

"You didn't have to do that. I would of picked her up."

"It was quite alright."

"You can set her in her room."

He walked into the house and into my room. He set me down and kissed me on my forehead.

"Sweet dreams, Y/N."

He walked out of the room and headed towards the front door.

"Thank you, Akechi."

"You're welcome, Mrs. L/N."

"May I ask you something?"

"Sure."

"Do you like Y/N?"

Akechi smiled, "I am being honest here. Yes, I do like Y/N. If something were to happen to her, I don't know what I'd do."

"Alright. Head home safely, Akechi."

"I will. Goodnight, Mrs. L/N."

"Goodnight," she said.