Chapter 18

"How did it go?" Akira asked when we got back onto the train.

"He seems very tired. He apologized for what he had done. He wants to change."

"I think you can help him change."

"I think we all can help him."

Akira nodded, "I wouldn't mind helping him out. Even though he has done a lot of bad things for us, I would like to see him turn a new leaf."

"You said it," I smiled.

I got off at Shibuya and said goodbye to Akira. I walked to my house and headed inside. My mother was there waiting for me.

"Hi, mom," I said.

"Hi, dear. How was Akechi?"

"He doesn't look great, but he's fighting. He's got a fighting spirit."

"That's good to hear."

I nodded and headed into my room. I laid down and sighed, not wanting to wait a few more days to see Akechi.

But those few days went by quickly. I headed back to the hospital to get Akechi. He was filling out some paperwork when I came in.

"Thank you," he said as he finished his paperwork.

"I hope to see you back out there, Akechi," the nurse said.

"I'm still going to take time to recover. Can't really do much with one hand," Akechi smiled.

"That is true. Be safe out there, you hear me?"

"Loud and clear," he smiled and turned around. He was a bit surprised to see me there. I walked up to him and smiled.

"Didn't expect you to be here," Akechi said.

"I wanted to come as soon as possible," I said.

"Thank you," he said and wrapped his arm around my shoulders. We walked out of the hospital and to the train station.

"So where do you want to head out tonight?"

"I'd like to stay at the apartment for a little bit. I don't want people to go all crazy when they see me."

"I understand. Anything you want to eat in particular?"

"Some noodles would be fine. Hospital food is not the best."

"It didn't look that great when I came in the other day."

"It tastes like nothing."

I chuckled, "How about this? Tonight, we have noodles and tomorrow, I will make you pancakes in the morning."

Akechi's face lit up, "Really?"

"Yep," I smiled. "I know how much you like pancakes."

"Thank you," he smiled and kissed my cheek. "I can't thank you enough, Y/N."

"You don't need to," I smiled.

We got onto the train and headed towards Shibuya. When got there, we walked over to Central Street to pick up what we needed. Akechi grabbed the noodles while I grabbed the pancake mix. We checked out and headed over to his apartment. While we were walking back, a few people had recognized Akechi.

"Akechi, is that you?" someone asked.

"Um, yeah," he sighed.

"Where the hell have you been? You kind of disappeared there for a little bit."

"I had some business I needed to attend to."

"Are you still going to do detective work?"

"I am going to relax and take a break before I head back to work. I need to recollect myself and change for the better," he smiled.

"Oh. Take care, Akechi."

"You handled that pretty well."

"I honestly did not want to be recognized. I just look so bad."

"What happened to your hand? I never asked about it."

"Oh that. It had gotten burned when I returned to the real world. I landed in an odd place and there was a fire. I burned my arm pretty badly. The doctors want me to rewrap this every morning and every night. After a few weeks is when I should get this taken off. But I need to go back to the hospital to get it checked up."

"When are you going to do that?"

"Not until another few weeks. I'll let you know."

We got to his apartment and I started to make the noodles. He got out some plates and silverware for us. While I was making the noodles, he cleaned up his apartment a bit. I finished and we ate at the table. He helped me with the dishes and I stayed with him for the night.

"Let me help you rewrap your arm," I said as I watched him struggle for a little bit.

"I think I should be ok," he said.

I walked over to him and grabbed the roll of bandages. He held out his right arm and I unwrapped his arm. The sight almost made me lose my dinner. His entire arm was almost black. He bit his lip and looked away from it. The air alone was enough to make it hurt him. I put the ointment on the bandages and wrapped his arm up. He set it on the table and he rested his head on the other hand.

"What am I going to do, Y/N?"

"You're going to be fine, Akechi."

"It's a third degree burn. That's going to give me one hell of a scar."

I sighed and sat next to him. I took his left hand and held it in mine.

"I'll be right here if you ever need me. OK?"

He smiled and kissed my forehead, "Thank you."

I nodded, "You're welcome."

"I'm going to take a shower. Can you help me cover the bandages?"

"Of course," I said. I grabbed some plastic wrap and wrapped it around the bandages. After that, I grabbed some plastic bags and wrapped it around. I taped it down with some clear box tape.

"Think that's enough?" I asked.

"I think that should do. You should of seen what the doctors did when they told me to take a shower."

"What did they do?"

"They took plastic milk cartons and wrapped them around. Then the plastic wrap, followed by plastic bags, and then finished it off with the box tape."

"That is just a long process in itself."

"It was. I couldn't bend my arm."

"Can you bend it?"

He bent his arm and nodded, "I am good to go."

"Alright. I'll be out here waiting for you."

He walked into his room before walking into the bathroom. I sat on the couch and turned on the TV. I watched something while I waited for Akechi.