Chapter 2

I walked into the house around nine-thirty to see my mom sitting there waiting for me.

"Hi, mom," I said.

"Hi, dear. How was school?"

"Fine."

"How was work?"

"It was also fine."

"Was Sojiro happy to see you?"

"Yeah," I said. "Any word on father?"

"No."

"I see."

I walked into my room and started to do my homework for tomorrow. While I was working, my friend had sent me a text message. I paused and looked at the message she had sent me. It was about an opportunity to job shadow someone we were interested in. All we had to do was fill out a form and send it in to the school. I texted her back.

"Who are you thinking about job shadowing?"

"I was thinking Akechi."

"Really?"

"So I could ask him some questions."

"That's not what job shadowing means. But you do you."

"Who are you going to do?"

"I might do Sojiro since I know him already."

"But that's boring. You can't miss the opportunity you have in front of you to possibly get information about the Phantom Thieves! He might know something. Besides, wasn't he your idol back when he was first starting?"

"You don't need to bring that up."

"I can and I already did."

"Alright."

"Hey, it's not my fault you liked that guy for a whole year."

"Yeah, now I'm over him."

"Are you sure?"

"Shut it."

"Sorry. But you should think hard about this before you pick a guy who runs a coffee shop."

"He doesn't just sell coffee. He has some pretty good curry as well. You should try it out."

"I'm not a big curry fan."

"Neither was I until I tried his curry. His is the best curry."

"I'll try it out tomorrow."

"Good. I'll be working tomorrow."

"You better not mess up on it."

"I don't make the curry. I just make coffee."

"You better not mess up my order."

"I make no promises."

I giggled to myself and continued with my homework. Around ten, I finished up and took a quick shower. I changed into my pajamas and got ready for bed. My mother came in, kissed me goodnight, and turned off my light. I rolled over to where my phone was laying and thought back on the conversation we were having. I sighed and closed my eyes, trying not to think about.

My alarm went off and woke me up. I turned it off and went into the bathroom and started getting ready. I changed, gathered my school things, and walked out of the house. My mother had started her day earlier than I do. I locked the door and headed towards the train station. As I was walking, people were still talking about Akechi and the Phantom Thieves. I tried not to think about it and put some headphones on to listen to music. I made it to the train station and one of my friends was there.

"Hey, Y/N," she said.

"Hi, Eiko," I said.

"Have you thought more on what I sent you last night?"

"I haven't."

"You better hurry. They want those forms in by tomorrow."

"Tomorrow? When did they send out this information?"

"About a week ago."

"And no one bothered to tell me?"

"Guess not."

"Not even Makoto told me about this," I sighed to myself. "I guess I should have been paying more attention in class to be honest."

"Oh, the train's here. Come on. If we don't hurry we won't get a good seat," Eiko said as she dragged me into the mass of people. We squeezed our way through and grabbed two seats. We sat down and waited for everyone to load onto the train. Once everyone was on, the train left the station and we were on our way to school. When we got there, we all got off and walked towards the school gates. It was another long and boring school day. My friends were trying to get me to fill out a job shadow with Akechi, but I turned them down when they brought it up.

"Do you not want to do a job shadow?"

"I guess not since I won't be getting that form in."

"What about your father?" Makoto asked.

"What about my father?" I asked.

"Why don't you job shadow him?"

"I don't even know what he does. He hasn't been home in the past three weeks."

"Nothing in the news?" Eiko asked.

"No."

"That's a shame," Haru said.

I nodded, trying not to let them see it got to me. I quickly ate my lunch and headed inside. I was walking towards my class when I bumped into someone.

"Oh, sorry," I said shyly.

"It's alright," said a familiar voice.

I looked up and saw it was Akira.

"A-Akira. I didn't see you there."

"It's alright."

"Sorry about bumping into you."

"You seem a bit distraught. Is everything ok?"

Can I really trust him? I've only known him since he came to Sojiro's coffee shop. And that was back when the school year started. I haven't gotten to know him well. This might be the chance to do so.

"Actually, can I talk to you?"

He seemed a bit surprised, "Uh, sure."

I walked towards the courtyard and sat down with him. I was staring at a wall, trying to think of where to start. I began with the conversation I had with my friends. Once I got to the topic of my father, the bell rang.

"Well, looks like we'll have to finish this later. Mind if I get you phone number and chat ID?" he asked.

"I don't mind at all," I said as we exchanged information. "Uh, thanks for listening."

"No problem," he said and we headed to our classes. After school I headed over to Leblanc with Akira. We walked down the alleyway together and walked in. Sojiro looked up and smiled at us.

"Thought you weren't going to work today, Akira."

"Decided I would help out today," he said as he headed towards the stairs. I placed my things in the corner and put my apron on. I washed my hands before walking up to Sojiro. Akira walked down, put on his apron, and washed his hands.

"I doubt there will be a lot of people today. It's starting to get into the cold season soon."

A couple of hours had passed by and the door opened up. Akechi walked through the door like he did yesterday.

"Shall I get you a cup of coffee, Akechi?" I asked.

"Not today. I just needed a quite place to relax. This was the only place that came to mind."

"If you do need a cup, don't hesitate to ask one of us," I said.

"Thank you," Akechi said.