Chapter 26

I waited by the train station for Akechi. He walked up to me and smiled.

"Good morning, Y/N."

"Morning, Akechi," I said and kissed his cheek.

"We need to grab that warrant and head over as soon as we can."

"Alright."

We headed to the station and Akechi was able to get a warrant. We headed back to the train station and got on. It was going to be a long trip. 

"So what are we to expect from this guy?"

"Well, I am expecting a fight."

"Really?"

"Yes. He wants to protect the family he has now. Because he did wrong with the last family he had. Anyway, I had brought some tools we might need. Do you know how to shoot a gun?"

"I think I can learn how to."

"I will give you the basics when we get to where we need to be. If anything goes wrong, I'll be there to protect you."

I just nodded, not wanting to think about that. The train came to our stop and we got off the train. We headed to where we needed to be, which was a rundown neighborhood. Akechi taught me the basics of how to shoot a gun and we walked to where Akane's address was. It was a hidden house that was behind a few trees. Akechi handed me one of his guns he brought and we walked over to the front door. Akechi pounded on the door and yelled.

"Akane Ito! This is the police! Come to the front door! Don't try to avoid us! We have a warrant!"

There were a few moments of silence and the door opened slightly. Akechi moved in first and walked around the house. His gun was pointed outwards and he was on high alert. I pointed my gun outwards as well, trying to get a view of the place. It was dark, which was scaring me a bit. I was shaking and I think Akechi knew I was. He walked closer to me, causing me to relax a bit.

"We just want to confirm some things."

He walked out from where he was and held up his hands. He had blond hair, a short beard, a navy blue hoodie, and jeans on. He was shaking a bit when he saw us. Akechi lowered his gun and so did I.

"Is your name Akane Ito?"

"Yes."

"You were caught stealing, robbing from a bank, and rape. A criminal like you should be ashamed of yourself."

"I can explain," he said, his voice cracking.

"Please do go on," Akechi said. 

"I only stole from the bank because I needed the money and that was the only way. No one wanted to hire me. I stole the medicine because my daughter was deathly sick and no one would take care of her. I do not have an excuse for rape. I will admit that I did all of those things."

"You're under arrest."

"What?! No! I-I can't! I need to watch after my daughter."

"We will take care of your daughter. We know a place where she will be taken care of."

He sneered, "I didn't want to do this."

He reached behind him and grabbed his gun. He pulled it out and shot me in the shoulder. I yelled in pain and grabbed my shoulder. He shot my hand and then my leg. I fell to the ground and Akechi stood in front of me. He pulled out his gun and shot Akane in the hand he was holding the gun. He yelled in pain and dropped his gun.

"Hands up!" Akechi yelled.

He sighed and held his hands up. 

"On the ground!"

He knelt on the ground and Akechi called for the local police. They arrived a few minutes later and took Akane and his daughter. Akechi put his gun away and picked me up bridal style. 

"I'm taking you to the hospital, Y/N. Hold on."

I nodded and put my face in the crook of his neck. I wrapped my arms around his neck and tried not to cry from the pain. We got to the hospital and they took my right away. They had to get the bullets out of my body, which meant I was put under anesthetics. 

I woke back up with Akechi sitting by my side. His chin was touching his chest. He must be asleep. I sat up and his head perked up. He looked around and sighed when he saw me. He wiped a tear from his eye and took my hand.

"How are you feeling?" he asked.

"I'm alright."

I just realized that this was the first time, other than the time at the dance, where Akechi wasn't wearing his gloves. I intertwined my hand around his hand. 

"I-I'm sorry, Y/N. I couldn't save you from those bullets."

"Akechi, you saved me by getting me here. You saved my life."

He gave me a small smile and wiped his eyes again. "I'm sorry."

"There's no need to be sorry, Akechi."

He shook his head, "I shouldn't have brought you along."

"Akechi, we helped each other. I'm glad you let me come with you."

He looked over at me surprised, "Really?"

"Yes. I actually like doing detective work."

"Y-you do?"

"When my father was a detective I would help him here and there on things. So this reminded me of helping my dad with his missions."

He smiled and kissed the top of my head. I smiled and rested my head on his shoulder.

"When did they say I'm getting out of here?"

"They want to make sure you wounds aren't infected."

"What happened with Akane?"

"They're putting him on trial and we need to be there. They will send us the court dates."

"What about his daughter?"

"His daughter is being taken care of as we speak. The medicine he had stolen was enough to sustain her for a few more weeks."

"Where was the wife?"

"She was out and about. They waited by the house until she came home. They informed her of what happened and she went to the hospital to see her daughter."

I nodded, "At least there were no casualties this time around."

He nodded as well, "Yeah."