Entry #44: Rose Dust (Part 1)

Start from the beginning

Something has changed about Kaiya. I have not seen her in wolf form too often, but I don’t think those scars were there before. Her fluffy fur still has a healthy sheen to it; it is so thick, I kind of want to run my fingers through it. But there are scratches in some places, wounds that have healed and left scars. There are some fresh wounds too; a gash on her leg and a scratch on her side. One of her ears has been torn, as if something took a bite out of the tip. They are minor injuries but it is a bit worrying. Kaiya has always escaped fights without a scratch. She must be fighting things bigger and stronger than her now.

Clamped tightly in her strong jaws is the collar of a man’s coat. She carries him like a mother holds her pups: by the scruff of their neck. He is writhing and squirming, trying to break free but it only serves to make him appear foolish. Her grip on him is too strong. I recognize the man who tried to poison Kain. I am amazed at how much energy he has, despite the deep wounds covering his limbs and the fact that one of his arms is missing. He is not too happy to be here, as he is spitting swears at Kaiya and demanding to be released.

Oh, she releases him alright. Once she pads up to the center of the room, she opens up her jaw and lets him fall onto the tile. Now, she is a tall creature, so he must have fallen a good few feet onto the floor. He shouts and curses loudly upon impact. The shock makes him lay there in a bloody heap for a while before he tries to haul himself up. Kaiya slams both massive paws on either side of him, both to threaten him and block his path.

Kain sits up straight in his chair, his stare so intense it could be burning holes in the serpent man’s skull. It is a menacing stare that calls for blood to be spilled and death to be brought. His target remains still on the floor that is slick with his blood, looking back at Talyyn’s leader with an equally angry gaze.

“Lord Seamus of House Sanguine. So you finally join us,” Kain begins, never taking his eyes off of the serpent man. Any sign of his earlier unease is gone, replaced by his stoic and intimidating nature.

“Against my will by the whim of some fool king,” Seamus fumes, managing to heave himself up into a sitting position. He makes no move to be polite or perform the proper courtesies one is expected to show their ruler. It is all too clear that Seamus has a seething hatred of Kain and any who follow him. I doubt he is the only one. I learned in past memories that Talyyn is a country divided in political opinion; some disapprove of Kain as leader and want him removed from power. In demon culture, the only way to replace a king is to kill the one who currently occupies the seat. I wonder if Seamus planned more attempts on his life to achieve this?

“It does not matter how you arrived, so long as you are here. Though I would have preferred to be gazing upon your bloodied corpse,” he comments, flicking his gaze to Kaiya. A low growl rumbles in her throat at this. Rather than appearing angered as I have come to expect, she seems a bit upset, eyes shimmering straight at him. He immediately averts his gaze, staring back at Seamus.

A mocking smile crosses the serpent man’s face. “I will admit your loyal dog put up a good fight, but it seems she was barely strong enough to face me. I am surprised that you now resort to sending weaklings after me.”

Kaiya lets out a vicious snarl and forcefully knocks him over with one paw, seeming to take delight in the pain it causes him. He has a rather big mouth, doesn’t he? It is he who appears the weakling in this situation, as he is the one missing a limb and bleeding profusely.

“Kaiya, please,” Kain coolly remarks. She sniffs once in Seamus’s face. Her breath ruffles his dark hair and splatters some droplets of his blood on his cheeks. Kain’s remark must have been a signal that her threatening wolf form is no longer needed, for she reverts back. Seamus is hardly a danger in this condition.