Chapter 34: Happy

'The most important thing is to enjoy your life - to be happy. It's all that matters.' ~ Audrey Hepburn.

NORA'S P.O.V:

"So I'll come to pick you up by seven?", Logan asked while walking alongside me towards my apartment building.

I nodded, "Yeah! Seven's fine."

Awkward silence surrounded us the moment we came to a halt in front of the entrance. Logan stuffed his hands in his pockets while I shifted my weight from one foot to the other.

"My mom's watching us from the car.", he stated and took a step closer to me.

"So?", I asked and took a step back but his hands reached out to hold my waist.

"Uh what are you doing?"

"Come on babe, we need to act like a couple in front of her.", he smirked and leaned in to hug me.

I smiled, more like a wicked smile, and wrapped my arms around his torso not before stomping my foot on his. He let out a yelp but tightened his hold around me.

"If you call me babe one more time, you're going to be in big trouble.", I whispered next to his ear.

He pulled back and looked at me, "Come on, I know you like it when I call you babe. Just admit it."

He is right but he doesn't need to know that!

"You're a jerk!", I exclaimed and walked inside the building not before hearing him shout, "I'm your jerk!".

____

The moment I entered my apartment, I plopped down on the couch and let out a breath I didn't know I was holding. Shopping is a tedious task. I checked the time, it was already four in the evening. There's still time before I need to get ready. Keeping this in mind, I closed my eyes and let the darkness consume me.

I could hear voices, like two people were giggling which turned into laughter. Their laughter sounded so familiar, so happy. It ringed in my ears like a sweet melody. I wanted to smile, I wanted to laugh too. Their voices quietened down a bit before erupting into full blown screams. They were screaming their lungs out. Screaming for help.

Stop it. Stop it. Stop it.

"STOP IT!", I screamed and sat up. I grabbed my hair in frustration. The screams still rang in my ears and I had to press my palms on both my ears to stop them. When everything became silent, I looked at my surroundings. I was still on the couch, the shopping bag lying on the floor. Glancing at the clock, I cursed when I realized I overslept. It was already six and Logan would be here in an hour.

I rushed in the washroom and took a nice relaxing shower. I cleansed myself thoroughly and even shampooed my hair.

Turning off the faucet, I wrapped the towel around me and stepped out. Putting on my outfit, I walked towards the mirror. Although I hated looking at the mirror, I had to see how I looked. My hair were wet and there were dark circles under my eyes. Guess the training and the upcoming championship were already taking a toll on me.

I would definitely look homeless if I go to the ball like this. Even though I don't apply make-up, I think I'll have to do something on my face. I looked for something but only found bottles of sunscreen in my dresser.

I literally had nothing that could even come under the category of make-up. I can't ask anyone for help.

Yes because you need to have friends first if you want help!

I cannot bother Logan's mom too. She already helped me with the dress. Should I ask Uncle Tom?

No, he's going to be as clueless as I am. Maybe the lady next door could help me. From what I've heard, her name is Melissa and she is a single mom of a six year old boy. The only time I ever spoke to her was when I moved in here two years ago. She had asked me if I wanted help moving in and arranging my stuff but I had politely declined her offer.