Chapter 41: Hope

'A single thread of hope is still a very powerful thing.'
-Anonymous

NORA'S P.O.V:

The whole week went by in a blur. We were busy with the last-minute preparations for the competition. Everything was going as planned, but I was still a little on the edge about being here. Cara's memories were everywhere. Even in the gym that we were training. All the equipment that I was using were used by her at one point. I wanted to use them to feel closer to her, but it was making it difficult for me. I tell myself every day that I'm doing this for her so that her soul can rest in peace. I still haven't visited our old house where Cara and I used to stay. When my parents died, we shifted to uncle Tom's house. But we moved back once we grew up. That house has a lot of memories, and I'm not ready to go back there yet. I need to focus on one thing at a time.

The day before the competition started, we had to go to the arena to collect the badges that would give us entry into the competition. So the boys and I cramped up in our SUV and made our way there. I took a look around once we got out of the car. The arena was bursting with people going in and out. People setting up the ring, someone checking the speaker and the microphone, someone putting up banners, volunteers running here and there, it was chaos. The sun had already set in and a cold gust of wind blew, sending chills down my spine. Logan and I walked towards the registration desk while the boys went to buy entry passes for the audience. I asked Logan to talk since I didn't want them to hear my voice.

"Hey, we're here to collect our badges," Logan told the guy sitting at the registration desk. He looked up and gave us a quizzical look, staring at me a little longer, probably because of the mask that I was wearing.

"Who do you represent?" He asked.

"Tom Flynn," Logan replied.

The guy typed something in his laptop, gave us one more look before rummaging through the stack of badges and removing two of them.

"Logan Henderson and Raca? Is that you both?"

"That's right," Logan said while taking the badges that he was handing us over.

"You know the rules of the competition. It starts tomorrow at midnight. Be there on time. We won't take anyone in once the gates close. Good luck."

"Thank you," Logan said, and we turned around to leave. The boys were already waiting near the SUV.

"Damn, this place is huge," Logan stated while looking around.

"Yeah, it is sort of a big deal," I said and turned around to take another look at the place when my steps came to a halt. I saw my childhood best friend standing there, talking to a group of people. He looked the same as he did two years ago, more mature now.

Nate.

I didn't expect him to be here after he left this place. But here he is, standing almost ten feet away from me, bringing back all the memories that I tried so hard to forget. I turned around to see Logan already standing with his friends. He motioned me to come over. I looked back and saw Nate staring at me now. My heart almost leapt out of my chest. It was dark, but I knew he had seen me. There is no way he’d not recognize me in this mask. He had seen it more than me. I used to wear this mask when we would go to watch Cara’s fights. He took one step forward, but I quickly turned around and rushed towards the car.

“Let’s go!” I said, a little breathless.

“You okay?” Logan asked.

I nodded and got in the car. The boys followed and we made our way back to the hotel. After dinner, Logan offered to walk me to my room. I walked in front of him but I could feel his gaze burning on my back. We reached my room, I swiped the key card and got in. He was still looking at me but I wouldn't meet his gaze. He can see right through me and I was scared of what he might find out. The only thing going on in my mind was that Nate was here and I might have to see him again. It didn't feel right thinking about Nate when I was with Logan.

“Nora?” He almost whispered.

I finally looked at him to see a concerned look on his face.

“You know you can tell me anything, right?”

I smiled and nodded, “I know.”

After an awkward pause, I said, “I just got overwhelmed out there, that’s all.”

“I understand.” He walked towards me, put his hands on my waist and kissed my forehead. “That’s why you should know I’m always here for you.”

I hugged him tight and let out a muffled thank you. We stayed like that for a while. Pulling back, I gave him a peck on the cheeks and said, "Tomorrow is a big day. We should get proper rest."

"You're right. I'll see you tomorrow. Have a good night's sleep." Logan said while stepping away for me to open the door.

"You too," I said and entered the room. He waited until I closed the doors to leave. I heard his footsteps slowly retreating. Only when I couldn't hear them anymore did I release a breath I didn't know I was holding. I changed into my PJ's and got under the covers. Staring at the ceiling, my thoughts wandered here and there.

Tomorrow is the day. Everything that I have worked so hard for will finally be acknowledged. I will give my best. I'll do it for Cara. She deserves justice. I miss you, sis. I wish you were here with me. I wish mom and dad were here. I miss all of you so so much. Why does everyone leave me? First mom and dad. Then Cara and then Nate. Will Logan leave me too?

A tear rolled down from the corner of my eyes. I wiped it away but another one fell, then another. This time I didn't stop it. I let the tears flow and cried. I hugged my pillow and cried my heart out till there was nothing left but darkness around me.

It was pitch black. I couldn't even see what was in front of me. I tried to walk straight but was not able to hold my balance. It felt as if the room was turning upside down. I fell. Once. Twice. I tried getting up but fell again. There came a hand in front of me. I reached for it and grabbed it instantly. A beam of light fell on the person whose hands I was holding and I felt relieved. It was Nate. I almost got up when he left my hand and I fell down again. He started retreating in the dark.

"I'm sorry."

"No! Wait, where are you going?"

"I can't stay with you, Nora. I can't help you. I'm sorry!"

"Nate! Nate! Please don't go! Come back please!"

It became dark again. I saw another hand this time and I held onto it with my life. It was Logan. He tried pulling me up but for some reason, he couldn't. He pulled with all his might but it wasn't helping.

"I'm sorry Nora."

"N-No."

"I want to help you, Nora. I really do, but I can't."

"Logan please! D-Don't leave me."

I tried getting up on my own but failed. Another hand came into my view but I hesitated this time. What if this person also leaves me?

"Get up Nora!" I heard a voice. It was mine. A beam of light fell on the person and I saw myself standing there. My old self. With the sleek ponytail and glasses.

"Get up! You don't need anybody's help."

"I'm trying!"

"You are strong. You are powerful. You can do it! Only you can pick yourself up if you fall down."

She was right.

I had to do it myself.

"You can do it Nora."

I can do it.

I can and I will. I tried once more and got up successfully this time. The darkness vanished. I saw everyone in front of me. My Parents, Cara, Nate, Logan and Uncle Tom. They were all clapping and cheering for me.

I looked at myself standing away from everyone and she looked proud of me. She smiled and nodded. I smiled back. After so long did I feel Hope. Hope that everything will be fine once again.

_________________________

Hope you guys like the new chapter. Thankyou for being so patient with me. Sorry for the delay in updates.

Don't forget to vote and comment if you liked the chapter 😊