Chapter 23: Fun

'Creativity is intelligence having fun.' ~Albert Einstein

NORA'S P.O.V:

I haven't smiled wholeheartedly for a long, long time. But today, after the race I had with Logan, I can say that I couldn't stop smiling.

Turning off the engine, I got off my bike and walked towards the building where Uncle Tom's office is.

"Told you I won't lose this time!", Logan spoke walking alongside me.
"Hah! That's because that stupid cat came in my way and I had to stop, otherwise I was leading.", I defended myself.

"Yeah whatever, losers and their reasons.", He shrugged.

I raised an eyebrow at him while coming to a halt. He didn't notice me and continued walking ahead.

"So what was your reason when you lost against me in that ring?", I asked in a mocking tone. He stopped walking upon hearing me.

Bullseye!

"Technically, I do have a reason. I don't fight with girls.", He said, while scratching the back of his head.

I scoffed at his words. I strode towards him and smacked him slightly on his head.
"You didn't even know it was me dumbass! Come on now! Let's not keep Uncle Tom waiting.", I said and walked ahead without waiting for his comeback.

**

"How many times do I have to tell you Nora that you should inform me beforehand if you're going to be late. Do you even know how worried I was? Why don't you underst....."

I glanced at Logan from the corner of my eyes to see him trying to control his laughter. He was clearly enjoying this. Jerk!

Uncle Tom was giving me a long ass lecture on safety right now. This isn't the first time though. It's like he has this list of 101 ways to scold Nora when she comes home late.
He repeats the same words everytime.

You and I both know it's not safe outside at this hour.

"You and I both know it's not safe outside at this hour"

"I know Uncle, I'm sorry.", I said softly.

"Where were you?", He asked.

"I was in the school library. I fell asleep and didn't know what the time was.", I replied with my head down.

Why wasn't your location on?

"Why wasn't your location on?"

I was getting irritated by now. I know he was just concerned about me but I didn't want to get scolded in front of that jerk.

"Can we do this some other time Uncle Tom?", I asked.

"I'm sure Logan has other important things to do rather than standing here and listening to you bickering about me being late. Right Logan?" I faced him and narrowed my eyes as if challenging him to deny my words.

"I don't mind. You guys can continue, I'll just wait till you're done.", He shrugged and smirked showing off his dimples.

Brute!

Before I could interject, Uncle Tom spoke, "Nevermind! Sorry to keep you waiting Logan. Let's get to business."

He looked at me and said, "We're not done yet.", then proceeded towards his chair and motioned for us to take our seats.

Once all of us got settled, he cleared his throat and began, " So, as we all know that the USFC is coming up..."

"Whoa whoa, wait what? What's USFC?", Logan interrupted.

"It's the Underworld Street fighting Championship.", I answered.

His mouth formed an 'O' shape before shooting another question, "So what does this have to do with me?"

Before I could say anything Uncle Tom cut me off. "I know you're curious to know why I have gathered the both of you here but I need you to have patience first."

We nodded our head and waited for him to continue.

"Long story short, I want the both of you to participate in this competition. For this, you guys will have to train together. Nora and I already discussed this topic and we need your consent Logan. Do you agree?"

We both faced Logan waiting for his answer.

He looked clearly confused right now. Running his fingers through his hair, he cleared his throat, "Frankly, I don't have any idea what this championship is all about. On top of that, this sounds like a serious competition. I just fight for fun. I don't think this will be a good idea. There are so many professional wrestlers out there. I'm sure you can send them right?"

I glanced at Uncle Tom and he sighed. "I guess it's getting really late right now. Logan, why don't you come tomorrow morning? We'll explain everything in detail to you."

He nodded in response and got up to leave. I followed him outside and said, "I know this is a lot to take in but Uncle Tom has his reasons. You'll come tomorrow right?"

"I guess I will. See you tomorrow." He got on his bike and put on his helmet. I turned around to leave when I heard his voice calling me."Hey Nora! Thanks for today."

"Huh?"

"For suggesting that race. I had fun."

I smiled in return and said,"Me too."

I went inside and saw Uncle Tom waiting patiently for me.

"You have a lot of explanation to do young lady."

Uh-oh!

_______________________________________

Sorry for the short chapter.
Hope you liked it.

Don't forget to comment and vote ☺️