Chapter 13: Smile

' A smile is the universal welcome.'
- Max Eastman

It was Tuesday and I was not in a mood to go to school today. Definitely not with a broken nose. But can I ever take decisions for myself? Never.

I sighed in defeat but eventually got ready to go to school. I left home after hearing a long lecture on being safe and a reminder that I am grounded and I can't go anywhere after school. As if I'll go somewhere with a broken nose!  I snorted at that thought as I made my way towards my car. I wanted to take my bike but I don't think I am in a condition to ride a bike. Getting in my car, I drove off to school.

I parked my car in the parking lot and entered the school premises. Some people gave me weird looks but I just ignored them. It wasn't that bad as I thought it would be. I think people out here are mature enough to understand that a person can get hurt and it's no big deal.

I had P.E as my first lecture so I went towards my locker to keep my books and take out my gym clothes. My eyes automatically wandered towards the whole place in search of one person. I haven't seen her in such a long time.

'It's only been three days!'

My subconscious reminded me.

"Looking for me Jerk?" a voice said from behind me. I smiled and turned around to face a smirking Nora.

"Good morning to you too Nerdy!"

But my smile disappeared when I saw her face. There was a cut on her left cheek bone.

"Hey Nerdy what happened? How did you get this?" I asked while touching her scar.
She flinched under my touch but didn't say anything. I quickly retracted my hand and put them in my pockets.

"I can ask the same to you!" Nora said while pointing towards my nose.

"But I asked first, so you need to answer me first." I stated in an obvious tone.

She rolled her eyes and said, "Nothing much. My neighbour's three year old son threw his toy at me expecting me to catch it. But being the clumsy person I am, I couldn't catch it and it hurt my face instead!"

"Ooooh!" I said in an understanding manner.

"Now tell me about you."

"Umm.. Well. I banged into a pillar and hurt myself. Not much of a big deal." I said while shrugging.

"Okay! That explains the swollen head!  But what about your broken nose?" She asked while eyeing me skeptically.

"That! When I banged into a pillar, Umm..I lost my balance and fell face front on the floor!" I said while scratching the back of my head.

Nora laughed loudly and wiped a fake tear.
"Seriously? You think I'm going to buy that shit? But if what you're saying is true, then God you're so clumsy!", she said and resumed laughing.

To say that I was feeling embarrassing was an understatement. That was the lamest reason ever.

And she was smart enough to catch my lie. She knows that I don't want to tell her the real reason. I don't know how, but the look that she gave me says it all and the best part is that she is not forcing me to justify myself.

"Says the one who couldn't catch a toy!", I said while smirking.

She stopped laughing and narrowed her eyes at me and said, "Whatever Jerk!"