Chapter 40: Pain

'Numbing the pain for a while will only make it worse when you finally feel it.'

-J.K. Rowling

LOGAN'S P.O.V:

I see it.
The pain.
In her eyes.
Ever since we've set foot in this city, there is a change in Nora that everyone can sense. She hasn't spoken a word and I'm getting worried for her. Uncle Tom is also a little lost. Looks like every part of this town reminds them of what they have lost. Even though I've lost someone dear to me, I cannot comprehend what Nora might have gone through. She is really strong to be able to come back to a place where she lost her everything. She didn't leave my hand the whole time we were checking in the hotel. Only when we were standing outside her room did she loosen her grip.

She walked inside and I followed her.

"You should rest for sometim--"

"Will you stay with me for sometime? I don't want to be alone right now." She asked while looking down fidgeting with her feet.

I walked up to her and put my hands on her shoulders. She looked up and I saw tears ready to flow from her eyes. I wiped them away before they could come out. "What is it Nora? What's going on in your head?"

"I don't know Logan! I don't know. My head.. it's a mess right now. So many things are going on here that I can't keep a track of it. I can't--" she broke down before she could utter another word.

I hugged her while she cried on my shoulders. I ran my fingers through her hair and whispered, "I'm listening Nora. Let it out. Tell me what's going on."

She looked at me while crying and said, "I miss her. I m-miss her so much. Everything ab-bout this place reminds me of her and every time that happens, I have to go through the gut wrenching pain and tell myself that she is not here. That she is dead and she is never going t-to come back. It's not easy. It hurts so much I can't help it."

"There is this anger, this rage that burns inside of me when I think about Eric Woods. I can't even describe what I feel like doing to him when I think of him. Hate would be an understatement for what I feel for him. But you know what the worst part is? That I hate myself for feeling this way. I'm not a person that holds grudges. I've always forgiven people so easily that sometimes I don't recognise myself when I feel like this. I don't know who this person is carrying so much of hatred inside her. I'm not like this Logan. I don't want you to see me as this negative, vindictive person who just wants revenge."

I held her face in my hands and made her look at me. "Nora I would never think of you like this. Don't ever hate yourself. Do you understand?"

"You don't think I'm wrong for wanting revenge?"

"Not at all Nora. That man killed your sister. Your anger is justified. There are people who would resort to taking someone's life in the name of revenge. But you, you're just trying to defeat him in a fighting championship. You're far from wrong baby. I'm with you in this okay."

She nodded this time but didn't say anything.

"Everything is going to be alright. We have the competition. We'll beat him there and he'll regret he ever crossed paths with Nora Flynn."

"Thankyou Logan. You have no idea how good it feels to let it all out. To share it with someone and have that someone understand you. I'm really grateful for everything that you are doing for me. I don't think I'll ever be able to repay you. You're an amazing friend."

What?

"What? Just friend?"

She let out a chuckle and leaned closer. Her mouth was just a centimetre away from mine. My mind went blank all of a sudden. Before I could realise what was happening, she tilted her head and whispered in my ear, "Yes. Just friend," and gave me a slight peck on my cheeks. My heart did a summersault in my chest.

She took a step back and let out a hearty laugh, "Oh my God you should look at your face! You look like you've seen a ghost."

She was still laughing when I pulled her close. She seemed taken aback but it only lasted for a second before she relaxed in my arms. I slowly leaned closer and she did the same. I looked into her eyes for confirmation but saw them already shut. Smiling a little, I finally kissed her. She was stiff at first but she eventually kissed back. When we pulled apart, I rested my forehead against hers and asked, "Are you sure I'm just a friend?"

She looked into my eyes and smiled, "I guess I'll have to reconsider."

_________________________________

Another chapter for my Lovely Readers! Sorry for the delay.

Don't forget to comment and vote☺️