Chapter 21: Parents

'A parents love is whole, no matter how many times divided.'
-Robert Breault

NORA'S P.O.V:

I heard the bell go off indicating that the time was up. I collected all my sheets and handed it over to the teacher. My exams were finally over and I couldn't be more happy. Now I could finally continue my training.

I walked out of my class to see that the preparations for the great ball had started. Every year, the juniors would organise a ball for the seniors as a farewell party. The ball would be held after the final exams so that people could enjoy the party freely. I wasn't really exited about this considering I'm not going. What am I going to do there? Nothing.

I went in the library to spend some of my time. I did not want to leave the school along with everybody. I always wait for the students to go away before I leave. It's like a routine. Everyday, I would come to the library, spend some time here and then go home.

I greeted the librarian on my way inside. She nodded in response and continued doing her work. Today will be the last day I come here. I'm going to miss this place. I walked towards my regular table and stood in front of the book shelves. It was like my personal book shelf. All the books that I read and wanted to read were kept here. I looked at it in satisfaction. I had completed all the books. I was proud of myself. I planned on spending about half an hour here and then head home. I sat on my chair and put my head down. I was so tired that I didn't realize that I dozed off.
.

.
.
.
.
.

"Mom! I'm home.", my nine year old self yelled before entering the house. I waited for a reply but got none. I had won a prize in my drawing competition and I was really exited to show it to mom.

"Mom?" I called out but I didn't get a reply again. I walked in the kitchen to find it empty.
Where is she? She rarely leaves the house. I wonder where she went. I went to the telephone that was kept on our kitchen table and dialed mom's number.

"The number you have dialed is currently unavailable.", the lady on the phone said. I called my dad this time. I heard the bell ring but it soon went to voicemail. "Hey this is Chris. Please leave a message."
"Um.. Hey dad! This is Nora. Mom's not home and I wonder if you know where she is. Just call me back once you get my message.", I said before ending the call. I sighed and walk towards my room. It was a small room with my drawings covering most of the walls. The entire room was painted in shades of grey while one wall was coloured in turquoise. Both the colours have always been my favourite. I slumped down on my bed and let sleep take over me.

I was awakened by the sound of the bell going off. I ran out of my room towards the door thinking that it was mom. Instead I came face to face with my uncle Tom. He looked tired and his eyes were red and puffy. Uncle Tom was my father's brother. He was very close to me. He bent down to my level and said, "Nora. I have to tell you something."

I nodded my head while motioning him to continue. He tried to speak but stopped.
"How are you supposed to tell this to a nine year old child?", he muttered to himself.

I was looking at him with wide eyes waiting for him to go on. He took a deep breath and said, "Listen Nora. Your parents.... Um.. They actually met with an accident."

My breath got caught and I felt my eyes watering. "Are they alright uncle Tom?", I asked trying to control my tears. "They'll be alright honey. Lets go to meet them. Okay?", he said while wiping up my tears that I didn't realize had fallen down. He picked me up and made his way towards the truck.

Minutes later I was walking through the hospital halls holding my uncle's finger. I prayed to god that he will keep my parents safe. I entered the room where my father was kept. He was lying on his bed. He had plasters all over his body. Suddenly his machine started making some noise and some people started to rush in.

"I'm sorry sir but the patient is in a very critical condition. You will have to wait outside.", one of the men said. Uncle Tom grabbed my hand and pulled me out of the room. "What's happening to dad? Will he be alright?", I asked while sobbing loudly.

"Don't cry Nora. I'll take you to your mother.", he tried to console me while entering the room next to my dad's room. Mom was also in the same condition like dad was. However she was awake and she started to move the moment she saw me.

I walked over to her and said, "Mom? What happened?"
She opened her mouth to speak but couldn't utter anything. After trying some more, she finally said, "Nora. My baby."
She held out her hand to me and I instantly wrapped my hands arouns hers.

I tried controlling my tears but they wouldn't stop. I nodded my head and said, "Yes mom. I'm here."

"I'm s-sorry my baby. I'm so sorry. I d-don't want to leave you." , she said while crying.

"I-I don't want you to leave me too mom. Just s-stay with me.", I cried.

"Everything will be alright Nora. Just learn to stay s-strong. Okay? D-don't think about us much." she stuttered.

"Please don't.", I said while shaking my head.

Her eyes started to droop. She was barely awake. I called out to her again but she was drifting off. She closed her eyes completely not before saying, "T-take care of y-your s-sister."

_______________________________

Hello beautiful people! I know this is a short chapter and I'm really sorry for that.

Don't forget to click the golden star below😊

Enjoy!