Chapter 24: Nightmare

'Worst nightmares can also appear with your open eyes.' ~ Florence Welch.

NORA'S P.O.V:

I stared at the girl in front of me as she stared back at me. I blinked my eyes and she blinked too. I tilted my head and the girl seemed to copy my actions.

Starting at my reflection in the mirror, I realized that its been so long. Time flies by and you don't even realize it. Everything changes with time and so do you. I don't remember the last time I saw myself in the mirror for so long. I tried to take in every detail of my face. How I've changed with time.

I smiled at my reflection but she didn't copy me this time. A frown formed on her face.

"How could you be happy after what you did?", She asked accusingly.

Her words were like a cold splash of water on my face. I was tongue tied, not being able to utter a single word. My eyes widened and I was about to go in a panic mode. 

"It was your fault!", she shouted.

Tears threatened to roll down and I couldn't stop them. I couldn't open my mouth, couldn't breathe. I felt like I was choking on my own saliva. I cried. I cried like there was no tomorrow.

"I-I'm sorry!", I stuttered, "I know it was my fault. I know. I'm s-so sor-ry."

"Sorry doesn't change the past, does it?", Her words were like poison penetrating deep into my soul. Suddenly the entire room was filled with people's voices accusing me.

"It was you."

"You're so sick!"

"How could you do this?"

"You should rot in hell!"

"You don't deserve this life."

I covered my ears with my hands to prevent the voices from reaching me but they seem to get louder and louder by each passing minute. I started to hyperventilate. I saw my reflection laughing like a mad woman.

"This was your fault. You deserve this hatred. You deserve to die.", She seethed.

"No! Please don't say that. I can't take it anymore."

But it didn't stop. The voices showed no mercy on me. They kept accusing me.

"Shut up! Shut up!" I shouted but all in vain. I looked at my reflection and fumed in anger. I searched around my surroundings and grabbed the first thing that came in my hand and threw it on the mirror. The glass cracked and the little pieces scattered everywhere.

Everything became silent. All those voices disappeared. The only sound you could here was the beating of my heart.

My eyes widened when I saw the object that I threw on the mirror. It was a knife which had landed exactly on the mirror where my belly was. My reflection clutched her stomach and looked down to see blood oozing out.
I looked down when I felt a pain in my abdomen to see the same knife inside my body. I raised my hands to see them covered in blood. Black dots appeared in my vision. My legs gave away and before and I could make out, everything turned dark and I fell on the floor with a loud thud.

**

The loud blaring of my alarm clock woke me up from my slumber. I was breathing heavily. My throat was dry. I looked down to see if the knife was still there. I let out a sigh of relief to see myself perfectly fine.

It was just a nightmare. You're perfectly fine Nora. You're safe. Calm down.

Breathe in..

Breathe out....