Day 23

Tin was with Phupha early in the morning. He did not have morning classes so he decided to spend time with his nephew.

"Uncle Tin, look at what I got during class!" Phupha showed Tin a paper with his score written on the upper right.

The score wasn't perfect and Phupha made mistakes but his score is still great nonetheless.

Tin ruffled his nephew's hair and said, "That's great. You did really well, Phu."

Phupha smiled upon hearing Tin's words. And he frowned all of a sudden. "But dad told me I should have had a perfect score in this quiz."

At seeing Phupha's smile disappear in a blink of an eye, Tin remembered his tragic childhood.

"You can do more than just this."

"I'm disappointed in you."

"Your brother achieved all of these better than you."

He never got any praises at whatever he did when he was young.

All he heard was disappointment and comparison. He remained inferior to his brother who was perfect in everything he does.

He does not want a repeat of what he experienced to happen to Phupha who made him feel he has a family more than his own family.

"Phu," Tin started. He held his nephew's hand as he said, "You don't have to get a perfect score in everything."

"But dad said I need to always be first place. It is either perfect or nothing."

"No. That's not true." Tin tightened his hold on Phupha's hand. "You need to listen to me carefully, Phu."

Phupha nodded and focused on his uncle.

"Being first place isn't important. Even getting a perfect score isn't important."

"It isn't?" Phupha asked.

Tin nodded. "The only thing that is important is to do your best in everything you do. That is what is important --- putting all your best efforts."

"But dad --"

"Your dad might deem first place important but not me," Tin cut him off. "For me, your efforts will always be appreciated and praised."

Tin looked at Phupha's paper and pointed. "Did you do your best in this test?"

"I studied hard for that test and I answered it carefully and surely."

"Then your best deserves praise." Tin smiled at his nephew.

Phupha finally smiled.

"You need to remember that you only need to do your best in everything you do, understood?"

"Yes, Uncle Tin!"

"You can always come to me if ever you need someone to talk to," Tin said.

He wanted Phupha not to feel lonely. He wanted to be that person who stays true to Phupha.

Tin wanted to be that person who he never had when he was young.

"Then does Uncle Tin have someone you can talk to?"

Can immediately popped in Tin's thoughts.

He nodded and smirked. "Of course I have."

Of course I finally have.

His smirk melted into a fond smile as he said, "He is the one you saw in the video diary I am making."

"P'Can?"