Chapter 1

"So what do you think of the Phantom Thieves."

"I believe what they are doing is just, but forcefully making people have a change of heart is unjust. I know it contradicts with what I said before. But you need to think about it. They're forcefully changing the hearts of terrible people. It's unjust in that sense of forcefully changing hearts, but just that they're taking down the terrible people in the world."

"Thank you again for coming out again, Akechi-kun."

"Thank you for having me."

"He doesn't like the Phantom Thieves?"

"Did he really just say that?"

"Who's better now: Akechi or the Phantom Thieves?"

"He's going to get a lot of backlash for saying he's against the Phantom Thieves."

"What do you think about Akechi, Y/N?"

I looked at my friends. They stared at me as I tried to recollect my thoughts.

"I'm sorry, what were we talking about?" 

"Akechi. You heard the news last night didn't you?"

"Yeah, I did."

"Well what do you think of him now?"

"I still think he's a great detective, but I think he should stick with doing detective work instead of getting in between the Phantom Thieves. The Phantom Thieves have grown in popularity and have taken over Akechi's reputation. I don't think he should of said what he said on the news."

"So that's what you think?"

"Yeah. Before the Phantom Thieves showed up, everyone loved him. Everyone loved the fact that he was a young detective who is doing wonders to the crime world out there. Now that he's against the Phantom Thieves, no one really likes him anymore. Which is kind of sad."

"You think so?"

"Well you have to think about his past. He had a terrible upbringing which lead him to where he is now."

Before my friends could say anything more, the bell rang and we headed to our next class. After school was over, I was walking towards Leblanc to get ready to work. I worked alongside another Shujin student. He had transferred to Shujin after what happened to him. Rumors said that he beat a guy up, but who trust rumors? I certainly didn't trust them. I walked into Leblanc and greeted Sojiro.

"Afternoon, boss," I said.

"Ah, Y/N. Ready for the day?"

"Might as well be," I said and placed my things in a corner of the small coffee shop. I put on my apron and washed my hands.

"Akira won't be joining us today unfortunately. I don't know where that boy goes off to after school. It's none of my business. As long as he is not getting into trouble."

"I see."

The day went by slowly, but around the evening Akira had showed up. He came to Leblanc the beginning of my third year. He's only a second year and I have been working at Leblanc ever since my mother came here one day. She got to know Sojiro really well and asked him if I could get a job here. He was against it at first, but after my mother told him my aunt had died due to a mental shutdown, he seemed to be sympathetic. He understand what it was like to lose someone close. He had given me the job not out of sympathy, but because he knew it would be a distraction from the loss. He was also good friends with my aunt. He's a nice guy and I know he cares of Akira. He just doesn't want to show it.

"Ah, you're back," Sojiro said.

"Evening," Akira said to both of us. He walked upstairs without saying another word.

"He sure is quiet," I said.

"Is he like that at school?"

"I don't know. I don't have any classes with him."

"Well if you can, can you keep an eye on him?"

"Yeah," I said.

"Thanks."

The door opened up and Akechi walked through it. He walked over to the counter, set his briefcase down, and sat on one of the stools.

"Good evening," he said.

"What can I get you tonight, sir?"

"Oh please, no need for a formal interaction. Just call me Akechi."

"Right."

"Hmm, can I just get a cup of coffee?"

"Any cream or sugar?"

"No thanks."

"Think you can handle that?" Sojiro asked.

I nodded my head and walked over to get the coffee ready. A few minutes had passed and I set his cup on the counter.

"Thank you," he said and took a sip. "This is very well made."

"Thank you."

A few minutes had passed and he had finished his cup of coffee. 

"Thank you for your hospitality. I can't really find a place that will accept me."

"Oh, I'm sorry to hear that," I said.

"Do you mind if I come back? This place is quite and seems to be the only place that will accept me."

"You'll have to talk to boss about that."

"Come any time you like," Sojiro said with an awkward smile.

"Thank you, Sakura-san."

"Boss," Sojiro said sharply with intensity. 

Akechi nodded, a bit intimidated, "T-thanks." He paid before grabbing his briefcase and walked out.

"I'm going to get ready to go home. Clean up and lock the place will you?"

"Of course," I said and washed the cup. Sojiro walked out and I went to go lock up. Before I did, I walked over to the stairs and walked up them. I peeked in and saw Akira was sitting watching TV.

"I'm going to lock up, Akira," I said.

"Oh. Thank you. Have a nice night," he said.

"You too," I said and walked back downstairs. I grabbed my things from the corner and walked out of the shop. I flipped the sign before locking the door. I put the keys in my pocket and walked to the train station. I waited for the train to come. The train came and opened up its doors. I walked in and they were playing the recent interview with Akechi. 

"They're really playing this again?"

"Are they just trying to make us hate the guy more or something?"

"Who would be a fan of Akechi after this wreck of an interview?"

"Seriously, how much are they going to interview? Why not interview one of the Phantom Thieves."

"I wonder who they are."

"That's probably why we can't get an interview of them. People don't know who they are"

"It would be great to meet them one of these days."

I sighed as I listened to more people's comments about Akechi. I kind of felt bad for him. Society used to love him, but now they hate him.