Chapter 59: The Atlas Sea

Start from the beginning

What now? he thought. Where do I go from here?

There was no clear answer, but of all things he never thought to hear in his time of sorrow, one voice reached out to him.

"Maddening, isn't it?" said the voice.

"Tom Sorrow! I'm going to kill you!"

"Yes, finally, he says it! Well, you're going to try! But there's something you have yet to figure out about me.

"I am a force of nature from beyond your lame little planet. I find the weakest places in the universe and I destroy them. It is all about eradicating weakness. So, I'd say we're about four months away from finding out how weak you really are!"

"It won't take me four months–"

"Yes it will," Tom Sorrow interrupted. "You will find me when I want to be found, and I think the turn of your century is a marvellous time to wrap all of this up."

In one of the hallways of the Gentleman's Club headquarters, Captain Nemo met with Thomas Dreamer. Nemo had a look on his face that betrayed his displeasure.

"Captain Nemo. It's been a long time."

"Yes, I have not seen you since you left our organisation to work for Indigo. If you have come back, I can only assume it is in her interests?"

"To a degree. I have a connection to Dorothy Gale, so I must help mentor her. When the time is right, I will leave again."

"And what is this about Thirty-Five Fist defeating you?"

"Incidental, but I have been informed that it sets something in motion. I wasn't told what it is though, but I am assured there is meaning in it."

"Not what I meant? Are you okay?"

"Worry not about me, you have your own duties to see to."

"When I heard you were back, it infuriated me. Even now, I can't decide whether having you back is a good or bad thing."

"We all struggle with our emotions; irrationality. But I can tell you... I have seen the future. I saw into Indigo's mind, and she is one-hundred percent clairvoyant."

"How does your power work again?"

"The Concept parasite is entirely of the mind... dreams, ideas, thoughts, memories, visions. Each is distinct. I know exactly how they differ from one another. Indigo's visions are real. This world has a destiny, and we are all part of it."

"Even if that were true, you've always been, well, a dreamer. Of course the idea of destiny would appeal to you."

"It's always a treat seeing you, Captain Nemo. Keep that mind of yours open, I've seen glimpses of your future. There are good things on the way."

"Are you seriously trying to get in my head?"

"I don't need to get in your head, old friend, I'm already in there. Your aura betrays you."

That line caused some confusion for Nemo, and so Thomas clarified that he was referring to the former's thought aura, a particular aura that only people with certain abilities could detect. These abilities apparently included the latter's, but also Indigo's and possibly a few other people.

Nemo wondered if there really was anyone else with a similar enough power set to detect what they could. Thomas Dreamer said not to worry about it, and insisted that their talk had gone on long enough. The former had no issue with that assertion, and the two said their farewells.

The realm in which Gaia resided was uncharacteristically full of people on the first of September. One of these people was Eileen Maddock.

"Gaia, how do I begin to repair myself? I've been broken for as long as I can remember."